The Fast Chef

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Special Edition-Racing Green/Ivory
Good morning Rocketeers;
I've dealt with this problem for a while, and have searched for a solution on this site before, but to no avail. Perhaps its been recently solved by another, if so, please redirect me.
Sure, these things sometimes won't start, I know that.

Every so often, @25% of the time, when I go to start it, it will power up, I'll hear the wind up but when I press the contact/ignition button to turn the motor over, all I get is a CLICK. again, just a CLICK.

What I've learned is that I can keep clicking it and at some point it might "catch" and turn over, or, it almost always happens that if I put the bike in gear and rock it back a forth, just a bit, than the next time I press the ignition it will start right up, no problem, everything is good.

So I've got good power, battery, (always on trickle charger) and had a new starter put on, I took off the handle and broke down the ignition switch and cleaned all the terminal points thinking that dampness seeped in and caused a bad contact. Nothing. Of course I've brought it to 2 different Triumph dealers, 1 put in a new starter and when I went to pick it up, it did it right in his driveway!

If I have trouble, I just rock it back and forth, in gear, and that will do it, sometimes after just one rock, or after a few tries. Putting the kickstand up and down a few times does not help.

Need to get this issue squared away! I've put up with it for too long!!!!!

Its a 06 like mine have you changed the ignition switch yet or installed the headlight relay to remove the load going thru the ignition? There is a replacement pigtail in the update kit it replaces the connector between the ignition and the main harness plus isolates the tach wire.

Start by cleaning the contacts in the switch,then check battery terminals and clean them on both ends.Also the contacts in the starter could need attention.

I've been there and fought the issue for a couple of years on my 2005. Many ideas, you touched on a few; including a new larger 12v lead from the battery and replacing the starter with a larger one from a Toyota. I replaced or cleaned the contacts in the starter many times. The headlight bypass relays help and the ign switch must be checked as you have done. I also had to rock it back and forth which still makes no sense to me as the starter is not engaged full time to the motor. I cleaned the crank position sensor and nothing seemed to fix it permanently, and it became a constant issue. I did finally solve the problem when I totaled the 05 during a ride in Tennessee and bought my 15 Touring.
There should be a few posts discussing this as others have had this issue. Good luck

I've been there and fought the issue for a couple of years on my 2005. Many ideas, you touched on a few; including a new larger 12v lead from the battery and replacing the starter with a larger one from a Toyota. I replaced or cleaned the contacts in the starter many times. The headlight bypass relays help and the ign switch must be checked as you have done. I also had to rock it back and forth which still makes no sense to me as the starter is not engaged full time to the motor. I cleaned the crank position sensor and nothing seemed to fix it permanently, and it became a constant issue. I did finally solve the problem when I totaled the 05 during a ride in Tennessee and bought my 15 Touring.
There should be a few posts discussing this as others have had this issue. Good luck
Come to think of it my 05 quit having the problem when I rolled it. Of course where I had 6 fractures in 3 vertebrae reminds me not to fix things that way anymore :)

Come to think of it my 05 quit having the problem when I rolled it. Of course where I had 6 fractures in 3 vertebrae reminds me not to fix things that way anymore :)
I only broke 3 ribs behind my left shoulder blade. Plus a little road rash. I did get a new helmet out of the deal from TORC. Mostly glad I was able to get the helmet and the new R3T!

G Day Chef
Had the same problem a few years back and is a common problem.
Good chance it’s the wiring to your ignition switch.from the movement of turning it pulled on the wiring and brackets the wire on the back of the switch
Normally the wight one .

I have had this same problem on my 08 classic since i have had it rocking back and forth in gear(sure that's what broke my detent spring:mad:) tried everything i found on this forum. At the moment bike is starting first time every time my problem seemed to be with the main connector under the tank.Everything looked fine on inspection when pulling the connector apart but give it clean with wd40 anyway checked for lose wires shorts etc all good reconnected fired up no probs and did many times after that over next couple of hours.Went out that day stopped couple of times restarted great. Next morning went to start bike click lifted tank noticed bulge in tank was sitting on top of connector and pushing it down moved connector to the side cable tide it to frame has not been prob since.Could not find any loose or broken wires so mystery:thumbsdown: just glad it's working:D.Not sure if same problem for u but have a look at that connector and wiring in and out. Hope you get it sorted starter relay mod is well worth doing also made big difference to mine until finding connector:thumbsup:Also GPS sensor sorted one captains problem i believe and worked well for a while for me when i removed and cleaned it solenoid should not be a prob as you have new starter good luck my friend i feel your pain:confused:

Mine was on the back of the ignition switch it self .
Dave the auto sparky / mechanic said it was a common problem.
Hope ya get it sorted Chef

I finally traced the same problem on mine to a loose fuse in the fuse box.

Somewhere there is something that is blocking a little bit of the power. It will be either loose, dirty, or both. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find and eliminate the problem.

Back