I haven't been on my bike since late August...

Phil R

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Classic
when I had just rinsed of our (new to us) Miata before going out to coffee. I was towel drying it and was almost done. I bent over to wipe the lower drivers door and couldn't stand back up! That small bend over movement caused me to herniate a disk (L4/L5). I'm currently walking with a cane and loaded up on pharmaceuticals!

I had just filled the tank of the bike the night before after riding it home from work. Yesterday (Sunday) I dosed her up with some Sta-Bil gas treatment and had my son-in-law run it around a bit to get the treatment into the engine. It was tough watching the old girl take off down the road without me! Good thing I know that the son-in-law will give her a chance to stretch her legs a bit before bringing her home!

Well, get yerself healed up...there's always next season. My spine is full of titanium, considerable rehab, but I can ride for hours! Good luck!

TEETER HANGUP Im going to buy one this week

I have had herniated discs in my back since my early 20s. Usually between one and four times a year it will go out. And in the past I've messed up to 3 or 4 weeks of work.

It's something I've been dealing with for years and years and years, I used to lay down soon as my back would go out. But I have found that if I stay active and try and go for a walk and keep walking the healing process is much much quicker.

Last year after another issue with my back I decided to try the teeter inversion machine.

My back was hurting when I got on it but I could walk. After five minutes on that machine I could not get off it, I could not straighten up, I was down on my back for a week with back spasms.

I think my mistake was getting on it while my back was hurting.

However I was too scared to try it again after that, it sat in my living room for months until I finally just sold it a few months ago. :(

I practiced spine care as a chiropractor for from 89 to 2006. I am a spine problem sufferer myself since age 19. Still remember the first time I "threw my back out" lifting a sofa out of a van. Most patients respond to movements and posture. Some don't. The idea is to determine if they demonstrate directional preference, meaning that some movements make them clearly better and some don't or all movements make them worse. There are craters or knowledge and lots of disagreement of how to and what to do in the spine care industry, specially if you are not "really sick" meaning trauma, infection or tumor.

I was not a spine cruncher but a movement and use of body coach according to the principles outlined by Robbin McKenzie and common sense. Most patients can self treat with movements and postures if shown how to, regardless of what MRI and Xray claim to say. If you are interested I can direct you or try to assist you as a civilian not as a doctor. Search the term "directional preference in spine problems" Good luck.

OK that's it this is a motorcycle forum.

I find making a conscious effort not to twist while bending, and indeed to bend not at all with the back if possible, but only at the knees has saved my back significant disc trauma. My instrumentation is from significant vertebral trauma, from which I could have lain flat in bed six months, and healed to some ambulatory degree, or get the hardware and be back to to work in three months! I chose the hardware!

Don't feel too bad, Phil R. I haven't been on my Mulberry Mistress since May 31, but not because of my back.

I have had 4 bulging, degenerative and scoliotic discs in my lower back for about a dozen years now, but, WTF, life's no fun unless you're really feeling it!

Back