how to fit front engine bars

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
So I have picked up that the engine needs to be supported - which I can do with the lift underneath, but how easy is it then to work the big bolt out .... and more importantly line everything up again to get it back in.
Thanks
Mike

It's not hard to do, use a jack under the front of the engine. Loosen and remove the front mounting bolt flange nut and then adjust the jack slightly in small amounts until the bolt easily removes. Then just keep the jack in position until you reinsert the bolt with the engine guards.

Everything will still stay lined up regarding the engine to the frame; you're only loosening one mount point and the jack is supporting the engine in the same attitude as if the bolt was installed.

If you're using the Rivco bars; you will find that the engine bolt threads will not completely exit the flange nut; there will be a thread visible at the interior of the thread nut itself. Use Locktight to keep the flange nut from moving once you torque it back down.

thanks WT - does it need two people, as presumably this can't be done with the bike on the sidestand.
Mike

For initially loosening the flange nut, and re-torquing it; I found it very awkward to get my hands and tools on opposing sides of the bike. But I managed. It would've been easier with two people from regarding that.

Everything else involved can easily be done by one person. If you have the proper motorcycle jack to slightly lift the engine; it'll balance with no issues while you work on it. Just be mindful that it's balanced on that jack.

..well Will's way sounds much simpler than what I did..:oops:..I put a short sling around one of my garage rafters, one around my handlebars, and a come along in between..and with a jack under the motor..I do everything the hard way....or is that the dumb way?...lol..

Two people would make it easier,
but isn't nescessary IF you have the right jack and take your time.
If the bolt doesn't come out easily, it won't go back easy either,
and that's led to some high speed wobble before
so, take your time and you'll be fine doing it by yourself.

Yeah it's not so hard, just be sure that the motor is jacked so there's no weight on that bolt. 2 peeps are always better than 1! & then you can enjoy a beer together afterwards in the sound knowledge of a a job well done! :D

Back