How much can I gain with a PC III or T/B?

T Evans

Supercharged
The question is, If I spend the money and purchase the triple filters and a T/B or PC III to go with my Jardines, How much horsepower and torque gain can I expect to see?
I figure $400.00 for a T/B or PC III and 200.00 for filters and 250.oo or so at the dyno for a total of $850.00.
I wonder what it would break down in dollars per horse or torque gained?

Wayne at Tuneboy has been custom tuning different exhaust and intake configurations, presumably using the same dyno, and producing Tuneboy tunes for them. It isn't clear if he's using the same R3 each time. These are the results he posts with each tune:

TOR/cat bypass - 145 hp, 157 lb ft

TOR/cat bypass, triple Unifilters - 151 hp, 158 lb ft

Jardines, triple Unifilters - 154 hp, 150 lb ft

Looking at those numbers, I'd go with TORs and Cat bypass option. That's the best bang for buck. Of course, I prefer my choice the best, which is to leave mine bone stock.

It's difficult to predict what you'll actually get on the dyno. I got 140 hp, 150 lb ft with my TORs/cat bypass and the same Tuneboy tune.

So if the Jardines and triples is 154 hp and 150 lb ft. and stock is 120 hp and 125 ft. lbs. You gain 34 hp and 25 lb. ft or some where there abouts.

So if my calculations are right, 34 hp increase divided by 850.00 = 25.00 per horse gained. Thats pretty cheap horse power.
But a guy should really figure the $1,000.00 for the Jardines for a total of $1,850.00 which figures a little over $54.00 per horse gained which is still really cheap horse power.
Now from here out the price to play startes going way up per horse. Does this sound right?

The first thing you should think about is whether your bike is running too lean with the Jardines using a stock Triumph tune. Why don't you get the A/F checked on a dyno? The cost should be $30-50. If it is running lean, you have to add fuel. If you add the triple filters, you have to add even more fuel.

I started with TB but could not find anyone who could dyno the bike without PCIII. So I purchased the PCIII had the bike dynoed and used TB to "emulate" the PC tune on to the TB tune that I was running when the bike was dynoed. A year later "Hombre" posted that this was not the totally efficient. So last month after reading the post I plugged my PCIII back into the ecu and used TB to download the original tune that I was running when the bike was dynoed. There was a big difference! So I guess until Nev decides to retire to Florida I will need both the TB and the PCIII.
I'm running trip K&N's, preds, and Nev's mild cams with his lockup clutch. Cruising in fifth at 3k rpm the bike is just begging for more throttle, you can really feel the true power. In first, second and third you can lift the front end with a twist of the throttle. TB is set to open the secondaries the moment you shift into first gear. I have visually verified this so there is no need to remove the secondary butterflies.

Even with secondaries open there is still a tad of restriction unless completely removed.

Back