Hot motor; R3. Hot leg

sell that piece of crap Lupe.
probably get a premium price for it right now
and you could go buy 2 new Roadsters.
I'm going to wait Skip, i have been checking the HD used prices and it is not the time to sell, there are tons of very nice hds for sale, from 04 to o7 from $5,500 to 8,000, i will wait for the right moment:)

Hi Eric
I wouldn't describe the Rocket as having a hot motor..sure your going to get some heat..more so when the fan cuts in..it is afterall a big engine.
But i don't find it excessive..no where near the heat of my last fatboy :mad:

Ray

Ray.
If I ride with shorts, I get first degree heat burn on my inner thigh (right leg), only traveling about 50 miles.

TXrIIIrider.
This tuning and downloading thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I had the idea, if you wanted to adjust the fuel/air mixture (leaner or richer) you would do this at the carbs or injectors.

I think I am going to ask at my local Triumph dealer for some assistance.
Of coarse, things have changed and everything is monitored with computer these days!

Greetings. Eric.

Only heat issues I've experienced is in very warm weather in stop-go traffic. That propeller up front kicks in and blows steaming hot air right at me. But then I wouldn't even consider riding without serious pants on, not worth it if things go south and you drop the bike. I like my skin where it is, so while I've felt warmth on the right side, nothing major.

Though, I have yet to try to drive it in really sultry temps, don't get a lot of sultry around where I live.

Ray.
If I ride with shorts, I get first degree heat burn on my inner thigh (right leg), only traveling about 50 miles.
Are You Kidding.. Sorry I am going to be Blunt...... riding in Shorts is just plain Stupid to start with the Rocket motor does put out a bit of heat on the right side the Std header has minimal shielding but your legs still should not be less than 4 inches away from it
TXrIIIrider.
This tuning and downloading thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I had the idea, if you wanted to adjust the fuel/air mixture (leaner or richer) you would do this at the carbs or injectors.

I think I am going to ask at my local Triumph dealer for some assistance.
Of coarse, things have changed and everything is monitored with computer these days!

Greetings. Eric.
it is not hard there are a lot of novice computor operaters that have been guided by those of us that do understand and as long as you follow the instructions given it is very quickly mastered, I had never messed with all this computor stuff before I got my rocket but having an analitical mind and having been a proficent old school carbie tuner I was just translated my knowledge of carbies tunning to numbers and now get quite a kick out of getting that little bit extra out of the beast.
Going to a Triumph dealer will be of very little value unless he is prepared to go against the his Francise Contract with Triumph which forbids him to put anything except a triumph tune in your bike if you want pay somone to fix the tune in your bike go and see a good dyno operater or if you are close enought to Wayne Tripp let the ultimate expert really make your girl boogey, I just can't stress enought that the std triumph tunes are useless and you would be wasting your time and money to get you bike tuned by a Dealer
there are tutorals and So Much experience here to help YOU master Tune ECU that it is not funny

Mine is hot. But that's because my exhaust comes further out than stock. I'm looking into a heat pad that clicks around my leg

Leg Guard Heat Shields : Leg Heat Shields : QuickCar Leg Guard Heat Shield : Leg Heat Shield : Calf Heat Shield
My Custom Headers made By SAM also come out a bit further than the std headers but with the correct Tune and and the extra layer of heat shield that Sam has in the right places it is no problem to have the inside of my leg touching while ridding but I would not leave it there to long when stationary, you also got to remember that there is a few thosand degrees of heat pumping thru those pipes, I have never felt the need for anything as drastic as those Leg Heat Shields, but hey but if it got that hot I think I would look at wrapping the pipes first instead of puting on something like that
Only heat issues I've experienced is in very warm weather in stop-go traffic. That propeller up front kicks in and blows steaming hot air right at me. But then I wouldn't even consider riding without serious pants on, not worth it if things go south and you drop the bike. I like my skin where it is, so while I've felt warmth on the right side, nothing major.

Though, I have yet to try to drive it in really sultry temps, don't get a lot of sultry around where I live.
That is the only time I reckon it does get uncomfortable and that is only if you are stuck in slow moving traffic on a really hot day, and if you were to ride some of the fully faired SportsTourers like a ST1100 Honda in traffic on a hot day it is probally worse as when that fan kicks in you feel like a turkey getting roasted in an oven

hot motor

im no astronaught ( sdc spelling dont count) but i do ride a rocket) YOU RIDE WITH SHORTS ON A ROCKET? a little protection goes a long way

Hot Motor

Looks like Levi's for protecting the legs then!
Yes' I know, there are real motorcycle pants available and the rest of the gear to protect oneself. But around 98 degrees F and above, I would prefer to stay at home.

Of course I agree with all those that considered shorts unacceptable.
I was just explaining that one day I took the bike out for a short ride (country roads, late Sunday morning) and the weather was cooking. I had bare legs and it got very hot down there on the right side.

But whether a Rocket, a Bonnie or a Tiger Cub, If one drops it at 50 MPH the road surface is the same hardness.

Thanks for your concerns on protecting myself.

As to re-tuning the mixture/timing and whatever else tuning does, I will look into it, 'cause too lean a mixture can not be good for the motor. And the backfiring is wearing on me!

Out of curiosity. If I replace the original exhaust, this could solve the problem?
The person I purchased the bike from gave me the original system.

Greetings. Eric.

Yes.. most likely putting the original exhaust back on will resolve the problem. It sounds like the previous owner bolted on the Jardines but didn't make the necessary fuel adjustments to go with.

sell that piece of crap Lupe.
probably get a premium price for it right now
and you could go buy 2 new Roadsters.

Well...I am in the same boat as Lupe but since I put on ceramic (inside/outside) Rush header pipes and removed the cats the Harley's heat is not that noticeable...unless you are stuck in traffic...then all bets are off...but I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of heat I am not feeling with those additions/subtractions to the bike.

As for the Rocket...be a man, as a lot here have said...it is a big engine, it's going to produce heat when stopped...solution...get moving.

And the Rocket will surely do that.

Dennis

I can't be a man but I deal with the heat
:p
But like the fact that I'm am opposite of a man so is the heat that makes me uncomfortable. The right side doesn't bother me. But my left leg gets so hot it feels like my jeans are getting a good starch job! I have to pull my knee away from the tank and try and get some air on my inner calf! :confused:

Back