Hot motor; R3. Hot leg

out of taff

.040 Over
One thing I noticed with my Rocket....Man is the motor warm! It feels like it wants to melt my right leg.
Is anyone else having this problem, has anyone solved to problem without putting asbestos chaps on?
My heat shields are glowing and I don't know what to do! It may be great in the winter but down south in Atlanta with 100 degrees F it is too warm.

Reply from TxRIIIRider
From the sounds of it, you are not running the right fuel map with your Jardines. It sounds like you are running way too lean.. This would cause the popping on decel.. and make your exhaust header a lot hotter than normal. Triumph's 'off-road' tune is still too lean for the Jardines. You need a DynoJet Power Commander with the appropriate map loaded.. or TuneECU or TuneBoy software to load a different tune to your bike's ECU.

I love my Jardines..They make the Rocket sound like the big bike that it is.. :) I have a DynoJet PC3 that I had tuned at a local dyno shop and my bike runs great. I do get a little popping on decel lately, but I believe my Jardine's baffles are about wore out. Thinking of going with Jardine's "quiet" baffles as a replacement. They are supposed to be a bit quieter and since they are not glass packs like the original baffles, they never wear out.

Originally Posted by TxRIIIRider Link Removed
Another welcome from Texas.. :)

From the sounds of it, you are not running the right fuel map with your Jardines. It sounds like you are running way too lean.. This would cause the popping on decel.. and make your exhaust headera lot hotter than normal. Triumph's 'off-road' tune is still too lean for the Jardines. You need a DynoJet Power Commander with the appropriate map loaded.. or TuneECU or TuneBoy software to load a different tune to your bike's ECU.

I love my Jardines..They make the Rocket sound like the big bike that it is.. :) I have a DynoJet PC3 that I had tuned at a local dyno shop and my bike runs great. I do get a little popping on decel lately, but I believe my Jardine's baffles are about wore out. Thinking of going with Jardine's "quiet" baffles as a replacement. They are supposed to be a bit quieter and since they are not glass packs like the original baffles, they never wear out.

Thanks TxRIIIRider.
But now what do I do....Think I can take it to my local Triumph dealer and have them fix it?
Too lean, too hot, that can't be good for the motor? I'm thinking.
Do you have any ideas, as I havn't the faintest idea of what I should do!

Thanks. Eric.

Well.. you already have the Jardines... that's the expensive part..

The easiest route would be to buy and install a DynoJet Power Commander (PC) and load their 'canned' Jardine map from off their web site. That should get you at least close. Also make sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the exhaust systems joints, that can cause popping as well. Shoot.. You may already have a PC installed?? It's usually installed under the left side cover as you're sitting on the bike.

There is now a DynoJet PC V that has an 'auto tune' function but I am not familiar with it, but some others on here have one. I don't know if it will full adjust to the Jardines or not. Mine is the older PC III model.

The best way with a PC would be to install it, then find a local dyno tuner and have them set you up. The good thing about the PC is most performance shops are already familiar with them and how to set them up.

Others will mention TuneECU (freeware) and TuneBoy (pay ware). These are software that you install on a laptop. You buy a USB cable that connects to the ECU on your bike and you are able to load whatever tunes you want into your bikes ECU. There is a lot you can do with this software, and a lot of tunes already configured for different set ups. However, if you're not comfortable messing with the ECU, there are things that could get screwed up as well..

I have tried TuneECU and really liked it, you can move the rev limiter, change the ignition tables, fuel tables, etc... but ended up going back with a Triumph tune in my ECU and my PCIII. My bike runs too good now for me to mess with.. .:)

Hi Eric
I wouldn't describe the Rocket as having a hot motor..sure your going to get some heat..more so when the fan cuts in..it is afterall a big engine.
But i don't find it excessive..no where near the heat of my last fatboy :mad:

Ray

Save your money don't take it to your dealer they can only load triumph maps which will be no good
As TX already said get your self a PCV with the optional AutoTune you won't need to go to a dyno as it will do it all it self, of you decide to go that route send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send my AFR table map I created which will give you good fueling for all occasions (good economy on light throttle and lets out the beast if you open her up) I have given this map to a dozen or so forum members here and also quite few over at the othe site and all have received only good reports

Hanso's right. A cheaper option, and just as effective for solving your particular problem in my opinion, is to get a Dobeck. It adjusts fuelling across the board and I'm very satisfied with mine - even though it seems to be almost as old as I am. No need for a dyno and works fine (on my bike) with a standard Triumph (TORS) tune.

I've got a custom 3 into 1 exhaust system (without heatshields at present) and it's f#ckin HOT !!! ... i have wrapped the headers with Harley heat-wrap but will have to have heat-sheilds made up. Im running the factory TORS tune.

I am in the same region as you are and yes your right leg is going to get hot in fact if it is only your right leg you are doing pretty good, my hot spots are - right leg, left leg, family jewels, whole lower body torso and whole upper body torso:D it is a 2300cc tractor engine and it does produce a massive amount of heat but it is better than the bike sitting in the garage while it is snowing outside:D
Popping equals lean mixture(not good for the bike) or an exhaust leak also check your radiator to make sure it is full.

You guys think the rocket gets hot????
you should try my harley!!
i will never ride that thing if is more than 80 degrees outside,:mad::D

Back