Help with Triumph Tune

[Dan]

.020 Over
Just fitted Triumph off road cans and have de - cat fitted (Rocket 2006 model)

Has Triumph tune present - 20150 installed

Just read the 2007 Triumph tunes - Link Removed

Have been advised to get 20050_2 Triumph tune installed !

I do not have a tune boy or power commanda

Just like a second opinion - to ensure I'm doing the right thing

Many Thanks

Dan

Just fitted Triumph off road cans and have de - cat fitted (Rocket 2006 model)

Has Triumph tune present - 20150 installed

Just read the 2007 Triumph tunes - Link Removed

Have been advised to get 20050_2 Triumph tune installed !

I do not have a tune boy or power commanda

Just like a second opinion - to ensure I'm doing the right thing

Many Thanks

Dan

You can't load 20050_2 without Tuneboy. The correct stock tune for your setup is 20149.

If you bought Tuneboy and loaded 20050_2, you would gain about 12 lb-ft. of peak torque (at about 2700 rpm). Because the stock tunes partially close the secondary throttle plates, you lose power from 2000-3500 rpm. Tuneboy allows you to open the secondaries 100% at all rpms in every gear.

Cheers m8

Gid job I asked then ;)

Also Is it worthwhile fitting a K & N filter - or leaving standard air filter !

As this is not mentioned in the Triumph Tunes info ?

Would the Tune I have at present 20150- be best to leave in - or is the tune - 20149 better suited for the off road cans and no cat - ?

Seen the graph - here - http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=1308 - sorry but I'm totally confused to under stand wich is best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA

Fae

Dan

You can't load 20050_2 without Tuneboy. The correct stock tune for your setup is 20149.

If you bought Tuneboy and loaded 20050_2, you would gain about 12 lb-ft. of peak torque (at about 2700 rpm). Because the stock tunes partially close the secondary throttle plates, you lose power from 2000-3500 rpm. Tuneboy allows you to open the secondaries 100% at all rpms in every gear.

Last edited:
If you have the TOR's and the cat box removed and replaced with the bypass pipe, then the chart says to put in the 20149 tune.

If you replace the stock filter with 3 individual K&N filters mounted directly to the throttle bodies, you will get more air and the stock tune should run it too lean. You need to add extra fuel to go with the extra air. This could cost you $400 US for a PCIII plus $200-300 to custom map it. Plus the cost of the individual K&N filters and the hassle of removing the manifold.

Or, you could buy Tuneboy for $400 US, download the 20050_2 tune (or a variant posted on this site to help get rid of the popping on decel), and you would have a pretty good setup - you would get the extra power from the freer-flowing exhaust plus you would have the secondaries open 100% of the time..

Why don't you start by replacing the stock filter with a single K&N filter ($60 US) and having your dealer load the 20149 tune?

Last edited:
Doug is correct the "correct" stock tune is the 20149 however it is the most restrictive powerwise out of all of the Triumph tunes. I would leave what you have since it is a full power tune. The Triumph stock tunes do not take into account the addition of a aftermarket air filters.

Also I would do the 12-minute tune after installing the air filter. Unless you get a Tuneboy or PCIII you can expect to get some popping/backfiring on deceleration.

Doug is correct the "correct" stock tune is the 20149 however it is the most restrictive powerwise out of all of the Triumph tunes. I would leave what you have since it is a full power tune. The Triumph stock tunes do not take into account the addition of a aftermarket air filters.

Also I would do the 12-minute tune after installing the air filter. Unless you get a Tuneboy or PCIII you can expect to get some popping/backfiring on deceleration.

20150 is only "full power" in 4th and 5th gears.

Getting :confused:

Right which one is best one then for power -

20150 or 20149

As I cani afford a Tune boy or Power Commanda as Yet :(

You get more peak (around 2700 rpm) power in the higher (4th and 5th) hears with 20150 but more high rpm power (above 4000 rpm) in 1st and 2nd gear with the 20149 tune.

If you do anything, get a K&N filter do replace the stock filter. It's cheap and easy.

Back