Heated Grips Install (part A9638304)

ChicagoRocket

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph Rocket 3 R Chrome Edition
My heated grips kit will be coming tomorrow. Can anyone guide me on install instructions? I know they are plug and play but curious on taking the grips off etc. Thank you.

Last edited:
It comes with instructions. It is very simple cause wiring is already there. So, you just have to remove the grips and connect the new ones. 15 min work.
I would like to know if yours works ok. I installed mine and I am having a hard time. Basically, when I turn it on, it works, but I am not able to reduce heat level or turn it off. Just have a red signal w 3 stripes at dashboard and two very warm grips... And the most interesting thing: it is working without engine working. According to Manual, heated grips only work when engine is running.
I disassembled it today and definitely there is no way to install it wrong. You have a 3 pin connector on the left and 2 pin connector on the right. And that is it. A small button to shift status... and nothing more.
My Rocket is 2020 R. I lost hours trying to find what is going on and I have no clue. I think the grips are ok, cause they work... I don't know... maybe my bike needs a new software version... ( I am saying that cause heated grips are controlled by instrument panel. )

It comes with instructions. It is very simple cause wiring is already there. So, you just have to remove the grips and connect the new ones. 15 min work.
I would like to know if yours works ok. I installed mine and I am having a hard time. Basically, when I turn it on, it works, but I am not able to reduce heat level or turn it off. Just have a red signal w 3 stripes at dashboard and two very warm grips... And the most interesting thing: it is working without engine working. According to Manual, heated grips only work when engine is running.
I disassembled it today and definitely there is no way to install it wrong. You have a 3 pin connector on the left and 2 pin connector on the right. And that is it. A small button to shift status... and nothing more.
My Rocket is 2020 R. I lost hours trying to find what is going on and I have no clue. I think the grips are ok, cause they work... I don't know... maybe my bike needs a new software version... ( I am saying that cause heated grips are controlled by instrument panel. )
I will report back. thank you for your feedback.

One item I've seen on plug and play accessories is the improper location of a couple of pins (reversed) in a connector causing all kinds of weird issues similar to what you have. It seems you have power going to the grip heaters all the time? Is that a software issue, crossed/shorted wiring issue or stuck relay?

One item I've seen on plug and play accessories is the improper location of a couple of pins (reversed) in a connector causing all kinds of weird issues similar to what you have. It seems u have power going to the grip heaters all the time? Is that a software issue, crossed/shorted wiring issue or stuck relay?
I disassembled everything today in order to double check it. Even considering the minimum chance of having the connectors reversed, I double checked it. On the left side we have a 3 pin connector and it was correctly connected. On the right side there is a two pin connector. And behind the flyscreen, a 3 pin connector...
Basically both grips are parallel connected. The extra wire sends a signal from the button to instrument dash and it controls the heated grips. So, considering that system turns on and grips get heat, I am considering that those heated grips are ok and my controller (Software) needs an update... I can not think outside this box...
Thanks for your replay.

hi gang,

installed the heated grips today...easy enough with one issue...

it was really tight tucking the wires back into the bar after you plug in inside the bar...make sure you remove the bug screen and give a gentle pull on the grip wires (one for each side). Once you do that you will be golden.

all is working as designed...level 3 is HOT...haha.

Last edited:
After hours of work, I found the problem. Cables are inverted at the front connector. I did not replace the wiring, and the original was wrong. So, I inverted cables (positive and pulse) and now it is working!!!! I could never would imagine one factory mistake like that!!!!
IMG_5364.jpeg

Back