Head Gasket Leaking

Hellwalker

Supercharged
Secret Harbour, Western Australia,-USA-Friendswood
I just talked my buddy here in Nigeria into buying a 2007 classic outside of Houston, Texas for $10,500. He had it shipped to Gulfcoast Bmw Triumph dealer in South Houston for check up, some bling etc.... They have found a small leak at the head gasket and want over $1000.00 dollars for the repair. I feel respondsible because I talked him out of a FLH. Man the bike has 12,000 miles on it, looks pristine the owner sent tons of pictures, I am sure he did not notice the leak? Anyway over $1000.00 for head gasket repair(?), come on rip off right? Please respond with advice and pricing this seems too high. I don't think its a good way to start off owning a Rocket III, it's tough cause we are in Nigeria and won't be home for a few weeks. Dave my buddy never has rode one, so he just don't know? Possibly a small leak is exceptable but we are Milwrights we are consumed by leaks, its like finger nails on a chalk board.

It does sound a little high. Does anyone know if this would qualify for a "Triumph goodwill repair", has the dealer even asked Triumph? I would hold off on it till you get to the dealership and see this leak for yourself. You didn't mention the dealer but you might want to ask the board if this particular dealership has a good rep or not. If it does it may be legit.

Dennis

23 dtg Dubai
24 dtg Home

Gulf Coast BMW / British USA

Motorcycle, Houston, Texas, BMW, Motorcycle, Dealer, Gulf Coast BMW , Triumph, Ural, and Schwinn, Keeway Motor Scooters, South Houston, TX

They seem like good folks, I have bought some bling from them. I am concerned they think he is and expat $$$$$ calling from Africa. They did send pictures and the service guy did say " look only a mechanic would find this ". They told him it's very small. We are preventive maintenance guys, when gearboxes, pumps or cylinder heads leak, we fix them. I feel the same way Dave does, knowing about a head gasket leak and ignoring it would cramp my riding enjoyment. I think Triumph should offer a good will repair(did not know they existed), what a bad taste it would leave in my mouth to lay down this much money on a low mile, pristine bike, find it's a common problem and get a $1000.00 plus bill before I rode it. Heck he is spending that much already adding bling and getting fluids and pads changed. It seems excessive for a common problem? Crap like this effects every owners resale value anyway, not that I would get rid of my baby..... thanks, Guys please continue to add costs and info, if anyone else has any experience.

ps any info on pursing a goodwill repair is appreciated.

Based on what I've read on the forum, it's a pretty common issue with the Touring model; not sure about the Classics and Standards. Mine started leaking at around 5K miles and was fixed under warranty. I wonder what kind of gasket they're using at the factory.

My 2006 Classic had a leaky head gasket. It was fixed out of warranty by Baxter Cycles at no cost paid by Triumph. The dealer should contact Triumph and pursue it. $1000 doesn't sound too far off considering some dealerships are chargin $600 to $800 to check the valves.

If you are in Nigeria..

Dude, seriously, a leaking head gasket is probably the least of your worries if you are riding around in blooming Nigeria.. please tell me its not the Delta! :eek:

You need the Judge Dredd retrofit kit - machine guns, rocket launchers, electric bodywork..:D and an anti-spam and 401 broadcast system.. lol

Until you get the item done, you could always seal it up with some liquid head gasket stuff, which will be a reasonable bodge.

To be honest I agree with people here that you should explore the goodwill warranty thing, and try to prod the seller to help sort that.

Additionally, you could probably find local motorbike dealers there would be plenty fine - and a lot cheaper - and do just as good a job!

Have you thought about asking the guy you bought it from to split the cost of repair? I don't think that would be an unreasonable request. That way both parties aren't being asked to burden the cost alone. It would be a great thing if Triumph would step up and do this under warrenty. That would speak volums about Triumph.

Hellwalker, I am a millwright by trade and used to have my own millwright repair service that we caterted to the petro-chemical industry. I specialized in the repair and overhaul of the large natural gas fired engines and compressors. I supplied millwrights to 4 of the refineries here in the heart of the country where we worked plant maintanence and helped keep their rotating equipment running. Pumps, turbines, gearboxs engines and compressors. I am currently working for Conoco Phillips out in the tank farm as a Tank Field Coordinator.

There aren't many millwrights left out there. That is one of the reasons I closed my business. Hard to find good hands that knew their way around a refinery.

Big T

Based on what I've read on the forum, it's a pretty common issue with the Touring model; not sure about the Classics and Standards. Mine started leaking at around 5K miles and was fixed under warranty. I wonder what kind of gasket they're using at the factory.

I have a 2008 touring. The head gasket started leaking just after the first service. Mechanic said that the gasket had a crease in it. Could be that the gaskets are no good right from the start, or the workers on the assembly line are not taking the care that should be taken when the head is lowered into place and buttoned up. You can bet I will be changing the coolant every two years. 1000.00 seems way out of line. I hope your buddy gives Triumph a call. Would be interesting to know how many on this forum have had the same problem.
bcbatman

i had a blown head gasket on my 05 classic at bout 14000 miles and rode it for bought another 1000 before it got fixed under warranty
on my 08 r3t blown headgasket at bout 9500 and fixed under warranty

Bike is in Texas(LOL)

Cheekygrin, you have been here, for sure. Does anyone have contact info for Triumph rep for North America? I think this is worthy of a call. It looks like a commom problem. I am not sure if the dealership understands they even have and option to pursue a goodwill repair?

p.s. yes Warri, Delta state hehe, carbombs ruined my lunch hour just last week.

Last edited:
Back