Has the ignition problem been fixed ?

When I relocated my ignition switch - I took the top of the triple tree off to remove those POS bolts cos I could not budge them - I had to drill the little poofters out. If you are not relocating you could remove the top section as I did to gain access to the soldered wires at the bottom of the key barrel.
20140416_090710.jpg

I removed my bolts with a hammer and a chisel. I used the chisel to rotated the bolts. Slow job as the room sucks but once they start to turn, things go quickly. I relocated the switch to the left side panel. The switch repair is pretty straight forward, after pouring out the meted solder, re solder and enjoy.

I'm so glad I wasn't so smart about how it was "supposed" to come out! Didn't take the top of the tree off or remove the anti theft bolts.
My mom always used to say angels take care of preachers, babies, and idiots...certainly not a preacher, far too old to be a baby....guess I know which category I fit in! ;)

I removed my bolts with a hammer and a chisel. I used the chisel to rotated the bolts. Slow job as the room sucks but once they start to turn, things go quickly. I relocated the switch to the left side panel. The switch repair is pretty straight forward, after pouring out the meted solder, re solder and enjoy.
I make up an extension lead the avoid cutting the origional wires - plug and play:thumbsup:

... The switch repair is pretty straight forward, after pouring out the meted solder, re solder and enjoy.

I make up an extension lead the avoid cutting the origional wires - plug and play:thumbsup:

I believe Mike was talking about the fundamental repair of the switch plate, not soldering an extension for his relo ..........

I believe Mike was talking about the fundamental repair of the switch plate, not soldering an extension for his relo ..........
Yeah I realised that but I was commenting on the previous sentence about the ign switch relocation

To remove the security bolts I just used a pair of vice grips, grabbed on tight and they unscrewed right out.

Then went to Lowes and put in nice normal bolts in their place.

Yeah I realised that but I was commenting on the previous sentence about the ign switch relocation
I had ordered a relocation kit for the switch when things melted down, it was plug n play as you mention. I have heard the company is either wheels up or not making that anymore, Rivco?, but it did the trick. How you get vice grips in there would be a trick, it seems really tight.

How you get vice grips in there would be a trick, it seems really tight.

Might be a little different on R3T, but the awful flat head on the bolt was up and easy to access, just very little of it to grip. But, clamping on the grips flattened the edges a little, making it easier. After a couple of twists it was out enough to re-grip and they unscrewed right out.

Well, I managed to take the switch apart without removing it. I had to break the casing a bit but figured that I would have to replace it anyway if I couldn't fix it. One of the soldered connections had come off so a quick 5 mins with the iron and it's all back together and working again. Used a bit of hot-glue to seal it back up.

Can anyone tell me whether the factory spot lights are also run through the switch or are they done properly on a relay?

Back