Has the ignition problem been fixed ?

Flopper

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
My apologies if there is already a thread that answers this question. I can't seem to find one. I've read a lot about this ignition problem that can be resolved with the EB relay. I just bought a 2014 roadster. Does anyone know if the newer bikes have the same problem?

I just had my 09 Touring not start twice in two weeks or so. In my case I would get nothing no headlight, no fuel pump, but auxiliary lights and XM radio worked just fine. Put a trickle charger on showed almost a full charge needing just one more light to be fully charged and it's a new AGM battery. Followed wiring and disconnected and lubed the ignition cable and started she did. No further problems since and I had been underf the tank prior to the first episode adjusting the XM system and tightening radiator clamps due to minor leaks. My two cents. Hope that helps

Johnny B.

The ignition switch problem is due to the fact that the power for the headlights is routed through the ignition switch, and the wiring for the ignition switch loom is too small to efficiently handle the current. This results in the headlights not being as bright as they should be and also the solder joints on the ignition switch failing due to the heat generated. The EB kit bypasses the headlights away from the ignition switch, resulting in brighter headlights and no ignition switch failures.

I believe that the Roadsters are better than the older RIIIs, but can still be improved with the EB kit.

I talked to dealer and they said '08 and up have had the problem corrected, not sure how much I would trust them with that statement but they know of the problem and said they fixed several pre-08 rockets with fried ignition but haven't seen any problems with newer ones. Personally I bought one just for the sake of it, haven't installed it yet so can't say if the light output is better. I'll be installing it shortly and upgrading the bulbs to H4's, i'll chime in with the results.

Your dealer lied. The fix is only in Roadsters and I'm pretty sure not the first batch - maybe from '11 or '12, but I think there was a recall on the earlier ones (only Roadsters). The 'fix' is a headlight relay but as I recall it only solves half the problem - the explanation of that escapes my memory just now - and the EB kit or similar is therefore still advised on all but the latest models. Tourings are not as affected due to having a single headlight.

The ignition switch problem is due to the fact that the power for the headlights is routed through the ignition switch, and the wiring for the ignition switch loom is too small to efficiently handle the current. This results in the headlights not being as bright as they should be and also the solder joints on the ignition switch failing due to the heat generated. The EB kit bypasses the headlights away from the ignition switch, resulting in brighter headlights and no ignition switch failures.
No True Words Spoken

I believe that the Roadsters are better than the older RIIIs, but can still be improved with the EB kit.
mid 2010 they issued a recall (using a single relay only to divert the load away from ignition switch) for 2010 model Roadsters but did not recognize the earlier models as having the same fault al though in many cases provided new ignition switch to those that fried, The recall only partially cures the problem as it redirects the the heavy load on to the dipper (Hi-Low beam) switch so it will eventually likely fail, In my Opinion there is only one answer and that is to either get a EB kit or make your own as I tried my best to keep simple in a thread I started http://www.r3owners.net/threads/home-made-eb-headlight-relay-harness.19364/
I talked to dealer and they said '08 and up have had the problem corrected, not sure how much I would trust them with that statement but they know of the problem and said they fixed several pre-08 rockets with fried ignition but haven't seen any problems with newer ones. Personally I bought one just for the sake of it, haven't installed it yet so can't say if the light output is better. I'll be installing it shortly and upgrading the bulbs to H4's, i'll chime in with the results.
as @CanberraR3 just said your dealer lied or to put it another way has No Clue All pre 2010 Rocket are prone to the ignition switch problem, He was probably hoping your never goes to save you trying to claim a warranty fix, some go sooner than others, it has been my observation that Rockets spend more time being ridden around cities in stop start traffic go sooner as they spend less time in free air flow which would reduce the overheating of the ignition switch, ultimately the best all round solution is to fit a EB or home made kit And LED headlights as well I have the J W Speaker (expensive) bought before we found out about the HD daymakers (I believe made for HD by J W Speaker but cost a lot less).
the Light from either LED headlight is so Superior that it is worth the cost if you do any night or dusk riding

Daymakers on my Roadster.
IMG_0670.JPG

Back