I play the "I can make it" gas game all the time, usually when on boring roadways.
In 82K on my V2K and 74K on my R3R I've lost just thrice (1 on the R3R).

I remember once on my Thunderbird glancing at the gas gauge and thinking "man... I'm getting good gas mileage on this tank..." and then I was coasting down a hill a mile later...
-MIG

I liked Ricks comment because the guy just did not have his priorities in line. After he waffled around about the bike he listed three others that were in a completely different class. I wonder if he has bought anything yet? I have seen this same thing on this site.:rolleyes:

I don’t even want to start the discussion about money and value as that is ver subjective but I like Ricks reply about that too.

As soon as I get a chance I will be doing side by side photo comparisons and just see how small this thing really is.;)

Dr. D, you are a tall guy, the bike is going to look small. Put Don Lupe on it and it will look OK. This is not a CrossCountry bike. You have Indians for that. This is a street fighter with modern technology. I wana see yours and Anthony's V4.

Recently I have seen many Diavels on the used lot. Seems like people just fall in love with them, buy them and can't ride them.

Right now my bike fits and rides so well it hurts. Like Tripps, I just have to keep it and me running.

Last edited:
Dr. D, you are a tall guy, the bike is going to look small. Put Don Lupe on it and it will look OK. This is not a CrossCountry bike. You have Indians for that. This is a street fighter with modern technology. I wana see yours and Anthony's V4.

Recently I have seen many Diavels on the used lot. Seems like people just fall in love with them, buy them and can't ride them.

Right now my bike fits and rides so well it hurts. Like Tripps, I just have to keep it and me running.
I had a Harley Fatbob all suped up before the Rocket and my wife said I made that look small but I could ride it for 300 miles a day. I’m sure the new R3 is bigger that that thing. Your right I’ve got the touring Indians so I’m not worried at all about size, of anything.:rolleyes::p

Take care of yourself and the motor and see you soon in WV.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I remember it being 150+ between fuel stops on the way back from Colorado with Lupe and Paul, pretty iffy, one of the girls ran out.

Dat dere is a good stop and should cover most other riders as well. :rolleyes:

Cross country? Fuel stops? In the UK?
Heck, the whole length of the country is a Day Ride!
From RamAir to my mum's is about 45miles but almost all on narrow (1 tractor wide) lanes. Saw no fuel up so knew I'd not see any on the return. If I'd known I'd have filled up before, but........ (On my second visit I discovered there was a gas stop - 1.7 miles further up the road).

And on a run to meet up with Nat - I was able to average a stunning 17mph on similar roads. There is so much traffic and so many speed cams in the UK - It's really seldom truly pleasurable to ride for me these days.

Here I run distance on motorways at 140kph AVERAGE which tends to push the fuel consumption up such that reserve hits at about 185kms instead of 220. So I now stop every 160 (100miles) just in case one is shut. I used to try and max out the tank. I don't need the stress of potentially running dry especially if I have a ferry to catch.

I mentioned this to some of the UK Iron Butt guys. They all want at least 200miles before reserve. That's about what my 40 year old Guzzi achieved when I was blasting all over Europe. 185-200miles to reserve.

Still - that's why we're all different.

From RamAir to my mum's is about 45miles but almost all on narrow (1 tractor wide) lanes. Saw no fuel up so knew I'd not see any on the return. If I'd known I'd have filled up before, but........ (On my second visit I discovered there was a gas stop - 1.7 miles further up the road).

And on a run to meet up with Nat - I was able to average a stunning 17mph on similar roads. There is so much traffic and so many speed cams in the UK - It's really seldom truly pleasurable to ride for me these days.

Here I run distance on motorways at 140kph AVERAGE which tends to push the fuel consumption up such that reserve hits at about 185kms instead of 220. So I now stop every 160 (100miles) just in case one is shut. I used to try and max out the tank. I don't need the stress of potentially running dry especially if I have a ferry to catch.

I mentioned this to some of the UK Iron Butt guys. They all want at least 200miles before reserve. That's about what my 40 year old Guzzi achieved when I was blasting all over Europe. 185-200miles to reserve.

Still - that's why we're all different.

Come to America, my friend.
We shall ride open and free!

Back