Green Machine Down...

Jamie

Living Legend
... due to a failure in the gear engagement mechanism. Symptom? Second gear just keeps on popping out, somewhat violently. Shakes the whole bike up, as a matter of fact. This happened today at around 20'500 k's. Had the very same failure at exactly 8'000 k's a year ago. Repair only involes a few bits and pieces but requires that the bike be taken apart ... Last year, it took the dealer about 15 business days to get the parts and perform the overhaul:(

Am still under warranty, though, and I'll spend more time on the Daytona 675.

Jamie:cool:

Jamie, sorry to hear about your problems :(. At least you have another bike to play with while this is down. Hopefully they can fix it for your this time around.

Advice I hope you'll never need

BTW. Someone called me up and --correctly-- pointed out that, in a way, I have described the actual problem, not its symptoms. The failure of today (as the same one last year!) developed over no more than 50 miles. But, in hindsight, there were a few telltale signs: Somewhat hesistant acceleration in 1st and 2nd, followed by hiccups in 2nd, exactly as in a situation of momentary fuel starvation or ignition cut-off... and then 2nd popping out, first @ 6'000 rpm's, then @ around 4'000 rpm's (I was becoming worried, by then), then as low as 1'500-2'000 rpm's.

The reason for this sequel to my first post?: If you should ever experience such... symptoms, you'll know, alas, what they mean:( .

Get Well

I told ANGUS ( my RED R3 ) about yours being sick and he asked me to send along this poem he wrote as a get well card.

Green is a color for a bike that goes fast
Sometimes it's sick and it loses it's blast
Things will get better is my only refrain
There's light at tunnel's end and it isn't a train.

Okay, he's not ready to be published yet but part of his problem is he gets silly when I put in 92 Octane. Have fun on the " Little One" and thanks again for the turning clues. I'll be testing the theory tonight.

Sorry about the probs Jamie. At least the mechanic should be familiar.

Pianoman, aka the entertainer, does your virtual tip jar take pay pal?:D

Thanks for your supportive words and, in particular, for PianoMan's poetry.

Feedback from the factory, reportedly, is that " only" five (now six:( ) such specific failures have been reported world-wide, i.e 2 each in the US, France and... Switzerland (both mine, just to belabor the point :eek:).

So, am feeling a bit left in the lurch. Maybe, I'd have found (dubious) solace if my problem had been experienced by numerous owners world-wide and were seen that way by the factory:confused:

Anyway, the dealer gave me a wake-up call this a.m., to assure me that EVERYTHING was being done, including direct contacts with the importer, to get my green machine back on the road asap .

Regards. Jamie;)

Cheer up Jamie,and thanks for the information.It's intersting to me to get a feeling from you as to how you enjoy the Green machine.Must be more fun to challenge the mountains with than the made for 675 which is a vergin to the shop.Am I right in that assumtion?Your discription of cornering in the other thread bordered on erotic was my take but passion is what we all seek every time we saddle up.

Baggage1 said:
the other thread bordered on erotic was my take, but passion is what we all seek every time we saddle up.

Erotic it better be. Nowadays, @ 57 years of age, the Rocket III saddle is what my genitals are mostly in touch with anyway :D

Back