GPS - iWay 500

egan3

Standard Bore
I am new to this forum and don't have an R3 yet, but GPS units are pretty much bike agnostic and so I thought I'd contribute by recommending an excellent GPS unit I have on my VTX, the Lowrance iWay 500. This unit has a nice BIG screen, easy to use touch screen navigation, is waterproof, and even include a 10Gb MP3 player! They run about $600 dollars.

Check them out

Last edited:
That is one big GPS device. I am interested to see how it mounts on your Rocket. I have a Garmin 60CS and am considering an upgrade in the near future. Not sure what I want yet. So far I am leaning towards a Garmin Quest II. If this doesn't look out of place on the Rocket I will consider this one too!

Tom

Can you imagine having a communications center built into something like the Flyscreen.... You could have the GPS, an IPOD interface with an amp and some speakers... a phone with handlebar controls, maybe even a video camera pointing out the front so you can film your rides. Bikes are way behind cars in the electronics department. I think the manufacturers would be surprised how well this stuff would sell. I saw a ton of stuff that bikers had basically cobbled onto their bikes last summer, a lot of it very useful.

If you haven't shopped for new cars lately many of them have all of this on one small video screen on the dash, basically controlled by a joystick. Not only that... but it controls the HVAC, the cars audio system with external CD changer..IPOD interface, and an information center (Fuel mileage, outside temp, ect). Many people won't even consider a car unless it has these features. The times... they are a changin'...

Bracket for GPS

I am actually in the middle of fabricating a bracket that uses the windshield fork clamps. It will have a cut piece of handlebar that will go in between the shield and instruments. It should be able to handle a couple of speakers and the Lowrance i500c GPS unit. The only problem I am having is the ignition key. It may need to be relocated. I will send pics when it is done. (If it ever gets completed)

Toystoretom said:
Can you imagine having a communications center built into something like the Flyscreen.... You could have the GPS, an IPOD interface with an amp and some speakers... a phone with handlebar controls, maybe even a video camera pointing out the front so you can film your rides. Bikes are way behind cars in the electronics department. I think the manufacturers would be surprised how well this stuff would sell. I saw a ton of stuff that bikers had basically cobbled onto their bikes last summer, a lot of it very useful.

If you haven't shopped for new cars lately many of them have all of this on one small video screen on the dash, basically controlled by a joystick. Not only that... but it controls the HVAC, the cars audio system with external CD changer..IPOD interface, and an information center (Fuel mileage, outside temp, ect). Many people won't even consider a car unless it has these features. The times... they are a changin'...

Add a cell phone plug in, make it small and light and add intuitive switching between phone, ipod and navigation prompts so it is hands free. For icing, add bluetooth capability and we've got a winner. This is soooo do-able! -Scott :cool: :p :D

NEW GPS Units

TomTom has a new model coming out designed with motorcyclists in mind. It has an mp3 player, blue-tooth cell phone interface, etc. like the current model 700 but it will have a lot more as well as a headset and microphone that fits inside your helmet... :D :D :D

Back