Gearing and shifting question

At first I thought this was a trick question, well engine braking has its place in the motorcycle world --riders in the mountains will use it more so as to avoid brake fade, flat landers have no use for engine braking you have brakes on the bike use the effinthings remember when engine braking around town or any cars near you what are you not showing the car behind you(if you have to think about this please stop riding):D
Front

And

Rear

Together
always use F-A-R-T helps build up good muscle memory so when the time comes and you have to stop in a short distance or even shave some speed off before swerving you will be able to do it.

Good to know, but adversely, if 30mph is not bad in top gear, is it better or worse than 30mph in 2nd gear?

Is there a rule of thumb for constant speed vs. Gear?

A gear indicator on a bike is a useless item, if you do not know what gear you are in by the seat of your pants you need a lot more riding time.

So you're saying shifting down through al the gears is unnecessary or incorrect, Dave? I do, but I don't remember anyone ever teaching me that was right or wrong, I assumed everyone did it.

So you're saying shifting down through al the gears is unnecessary or incorrect, Dave? I do, but I don't remember anyone ever teaching me that was right or wrong, I assumed everyone did it.
Nothing wrong with shifting down but use the brakes to match the road speed with what gear you are going to, with bikes you cannot go directly from 5th to 1st or 1st to 5th it is on a ratchet type system you have to release the gear lever before you can go to the next gear, be in the gear what can get you out of harms way the fastest---if at a stop sign or light of course you will be in 1st.

Nothing wrong with shifting down but use the brakes to match the road speed with what gear you are going to, with bikes you cannot go directly from 5th to 1st or 1st to 5th it is on a ratchet type system you have to release the gear lever before you can go to the next gear, be in the gear what can get you out of harms way the fastest---if at a stop sign or light of course you will be in 1st.

Let me see if I understand. You suggest to gear down with clutching in and out on every gear till one gets to 1rst?

Just be gentle. The bike has just so many gear changes in it. It's like you have just so many heartbeats in you. The brakes pads are cheaper to fix than the clutch or transmission.

I use the shift down rarely to pass. Downshift much more in the twisties. Applying gas in higher rpm is less jerky for me. If I have made a speed judgment error, taking the gas off decelerates me and might compensate for my error without me jaking with the brakes. I don't stop the bike with the motor. Coast in 5th till the end of the stop then gear to first and stay in 1st with clutch in. It has saved my life to stop and keep the bike in 1st ready to move.

Be gentle? Hahha. The clutch is a wear item, so I accept that for what it is. Just replace it with a beefier one when the time comes. I don’t not downshift shift because I fear wearing out the transmission. I found you cannot be gentle shifting the rocket, you have to be deliberate and use some force, don’t sally the shifter.

So when you come to a stop sign or light you coast in 5th and downshift to first right before the stop? That’s a new one. I always engine break. Done it with all my bikes since my first dirtbike. Would be strange not too. I downshift through the gears, letting out the clutch, when approaching a stop. May not hit every gear depending on speed, conditions etc. Interesting to hear the different riding styles out there.

Back