Gearbox issue

Screenshot_2019-04-15-11-09-23.png

This is the output cluster. Left is 1st the middle gear is 5th and right is 4th. You can see the dog ring that drives 4th (there are dogs on the 5th gear side to - these engage directly into windows in 1st gear)

It could be that you have rounded or worn dogs and/or windows on 4th. This would drive the 2 apart under load. It could also be a bent selector fork that moves the dog ring.

Also, there are circlips that retain 4th and 3rd and if one of these has jumped its race the gears can wander up and down the shaft. Sadly you won't know until you've split the cases.

Hi, yes, ONLY in 4th gear. Pulls like a train without missing a beat in all other gears.

then My problem is of a different nature completely ...hope you find the solution

I have never been able to grasp the need for 3 wheels on a car though!!
I'm fine with that concept - IF - the two wheels are at the the front.

guzzizero1.jpg

Sadly KitCars here are **** close to impossible to register.

I had a mate back in "days of yore" who was iirc secretary of the Bond Bug OC. Scarred me for life.

Hi, yes, ONLY in 4th gear. Pulls like a train without missing a beat in all other gears.

If you're are splitting the case regardless of what you find I would send the gears out to be back-cut and the circlips enlarged at Robertson racing. Also, replacing the shift forks could be a good idea. I think they may be the start of these issues. I had one very very slightly grooved/warped but because of the learning from everyone on this site, I got to it before the gears were too badly damaged. After back-cutting, replacing the shift forks and using a little heavier oil it shifts like butter... albeit butter just out of the fridge, but its a lot better!

Also it eventually wouldn't shift into 5th...the dogs were so damaged (rounded) that they just wouldn't mesh
This chit is really scaring me. My 2011 tour just passed 7,000 miles and no issues yet but it is bizarre how so many are having trans issues given constant synthetic oil use.
I am leaning on just putting mine up for sale. Beautiful bike but a trans issue would end it for me. I do not have the time or ability to handle something like that.

This chit is really scaring me. My 2011 tour just passed 7,000 miles and no issues yet but it is bizarre how so many are having trans issues given constant synthetic oil use.
I am leaning on just putting mine up for sale. Beautiful bike but a trans issue would end it for me. I do not have the time or ability to handle something like that.

Remember...for every issue you hear about there are many many more that have ne er had an issue. I’m on my 3rd Roadster, collectively over 50k miles ...not an issue of any type.

Pretty sure they have sorted the issues with gear box by the time they built your machine.

My 06 classic on the other hand did have an issue only happen about 7 times but did not wait any longer but after 6 grand runs really good now. I got the complete update kit done on the beast. Don't get put off and don't thrash the gears!

Pretty sure they have sorted the issues with gear box by the time they built your machine.

My 06 classic on the other hand did have an issue only happen about 7 times but did not wait any longer but after 6 grand runs really good now. I got the complete update kit done on the beast. Don't get put off and don't thrash the gears!
Thanks. I had hoped that to be the case, big reason I got a 2011 as I was thinking they had sorted it out by then. Somewhere I got the idea that Triumph enlisted Maserati to build the gearboxes and that they were supposed to be rock solid.

Good news. When Yamaha had their issues with the roadstar, it was a 50cent washer that had been heat treated wrong and was failing in the transmission. A few owners were riding and had the entire motorcycle lock up. It was a ground pounding effort, but owners contacted the NHTSB and Yamaha had to do a recall on every one of them. They stepped up though and got it done.

Back