Gearbox issue

Dad

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Roadster & R1100RS
Hi, I started a bit of a conversation in my introduction regarding an issue I am having when in 4th gear. To recap, when the engine is under load in 4th gear it appeared as though it was misfiring, ok decelerating and overrun. No issues in any other gear. Due to the poor weather I didn't go out but these last few days have been great and with a few more 'test miles' I am now of the opinion that 4th gear is jumping out of mesh momentarily when under load. Has anyone else had this issue or any info/advice re a gearbox strip please.

For awhile you can hold up on the shifter and keep it held up when shifting to fourth. See if that works. If it does then you need to go inside. Just my two cents worth. Some more will be along

20181101_115420.jpg
20181027_123149.jpg

Yep....I've had a similar issue...:whitstling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it eventually wouldn't shift into 5th...the dogs were so damaged (rounded) that they just wouldn't mesh

Ouch! Don't like the look of that. Did you repair/get it repaired and if so what sort of cost?

@Jag was pretty close....3 rebuilds in 2yrs all different causes (the second time was parts failure due in the clutch PROBABLY caused by over-torquing a bolt so a human error not machine failure)

Yes you have to pull the engine for trans repairs. I save at least AUD 2000 by doing the work myself. It would cost around AUD 4000 to rebuild the complete trans using OEM spares.

R3's are very easy to work on - I'm not a mechanic but i can use a torque wrench and follow a workshop manual so the repairs weren't difficult,just took my time.

Search gearbox and trans issues and you'll find several threads that will help you understand your current 4th gear symptoms a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back