Gearbox issue

20180124_110350.jpg

The sump will hold if you have it seated right - it has 4 little 'feet' it sits on. I use a piece of 16mm mdf on my atv lift.

I support the engine and lift the frame off using the engine crane. It's a one man operation this way. The engine doesn't drop straight down, you have to tilt the back end a little first.

The biggest tip for first timer is remember to remove the oil pressure sender off the back of the head BEFORE you separate frame and engine!!

Back again!! I tried out the suggestion by The Kid, holding the shifter up in 4th whilst putting it under load and it still jumps. I fear the only option is a strip down so if anyone out there has any videos/notes/advice I will be most grateful.

does this problem occurs ONLY in 4th?

IMG_2815.JPG
20180124_110350.jpg

The sump will hold if you have it seated right - it has 4 little 'feet' it sits on. I use a piece of 16mm mdf on my atv lift.

I support the engine and lift the frame off using the engine crane. It's a one man operation this way. The engine doesn't drop straight down, you have to tilt the back end a little first.

The biggest tip for first timer is remember to remove the oil pressure sender off the back of the head BEFORE you separate frame and engine!!

Hi Mr Hunt, thank you very much for the photo showing how it is done. I feel much more confident now. I have the 'quad' lift and I believe my brother in law has an appropriate hoist. Will be starting in another couple of weeks when I have sold another 'project' which is now complete but taking up too much space in the garage. Wish you liver closer!

A Caterham Reliant?
Sort of, completely handbuilt, not by me I hasten to add. I just got it in bits and sourced the missing parts and rebuilt it. Reliant front end and 850 engine. Only bought bits are mudguards and nose cone. Only 4" from floor to road so feels faster than it is.

There is many a road littered with 4" plus speed humps here too. I have never been able to grasp the need for 3 wheels on a car though!!
Its the same reason the majority of car drivers don't understand why we ride bikes. Pity me 'cos I have a bent for both, I also have a Bond Bug 'project'. As an 'Ole Codger' you will not need reminding what one looks like!

Back