Lloyd ,if it is the Detent spring it's an easy fix if you have the tools to do it.Plenty help here if you need it. Where you from ?

hi,

I have owned my rocket for 4 months now been round Europe on it and love it.
However today I went down the road and suddenly lost 3rd and 4th gear. Sometimes it will find 3rd when gearing up but never when gearing down and 4th seems to have gone all together.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Lloyd
Hi, have just bought a 2010 Classic here in New Zealand. I've found occasionally it won't go into 4th from 3rd and fifth from fourth. Thought it might have been my riding style as I've been used to thrashing high revving *** bikes but now I've read a few posts on here, perhaps its the detent spring as many have posted before me? Some are saying its a diy job, others I see say its a major issue. I'm no mechanic so it'll have to go into the shop. Love the bike so far tho.

Hi, have just bought a 2010 Classic here in New Zealand. I've found occasionally it won't go into 4th from 3rd and fifth from fourth. Thought it might have been my riding style as I've been used to thrashing high revving *** bikes but now I've read a few posts on here, perhaps its the detent spring as many have posted before me? Some are saying its a diy job, others I see say its a major issue. I'm no mechanic so it'll have to go into the shop. Love the bike so far tho.[/QUOTE

I own a 2008 classic and have just done my detent spring. I am no mechanic but managed to do it with just information from the guy's on here. It sounds like a big job and if not done anything like this before will seem like a big job. But if you can follow instructions it's easy.Only problem is you won't know if it is spring till you take it apart. How many miles on clock?

Hi, have just bought a 2010 Classic here in New Zealand. I've found occasionally it won't go into 4th from 3rd and fifth from fourth. Thought it might have been my riding style as I've been used to thrashing high revving *** bikes but now I've read a few posts on here, perhaps its the detent spring as many have posted before me? Some are saying its a diy job, others I see say its a major issue. I'm no mechanic so it'll have to go into the shop. Love the bike so far tho.
A bad detent spring is very obvious. Basically the gear selector drum over rotates when you push the lever. Since replacing my busted detent the selector is noticeably more notchy You can feel the spring push back as the drum rotates past. Are you using the heel portion of the heal/toe shifter or just the toe part?

Doesn't sound like a detent spring...sadly...

More likely any one of a list of trans issues that will require engine removal

A bad detent spring is very obvious. Basically the gear selector drum over rotates when you push the lever. Since replacing my busted detent the selector is noticeably more notchy You can feel the spring push back as the drum rotates past. Are you using the heel portion of the heal/toe shifter or just the toe part?
No heel toe / lever on this one, toe only.

Back