Gas gauge doesn't work

It needs to be threaded in carefully to make sure that nothing gets stuck or bent. And, if course, pointing in the right direction.

I will be doing this job this weekend. Part of the rebirth of number 74. It was time for a new gas filter anyhow. Will post a lot of pics so you can get the idea of how it goes. My first time was a nightmare but after doing it three times 60,000 plus miles kind of figured it out.

Do you happen to have a video of you installing one? If I do install new one you still need to bend it? And if I'm going to take it all apart again is there a need to put in a new gas filter as well?
You shouldn't need to bend anything. Ya just got to hold you face straight as yout insert and rotate.

Cool Sonny , first time a nightmare , yikes and I'm sure your way better at this stuff then me . Ok I'll lookwarward to look to see your step by step. :)
Did you check out my bike all painted:)

Hey warp9.9 I understand most people on the forum Ben the rod of the float so your get a better reading?
The new ones you don't need to?
Did you check out my bike it's all painted now:)

Worked a little on the bike last night and had a few beers. Doctors appointment today so no need to get up early. IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG This is where it gets interesting IMG_1346.JPG :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Seriously. Lift unit out and slightly turn unit so you can see the float rod. IMG_1347.JPG Then insert this and hook float rod IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1348.JPG Lower unit back down into tank and pull float rod up about half way. The slowly lift unit out of tank. Be careful not to bend or get float rod in a bind. You can adjust rod with coat hanging so this does not happen. Once out inspect. Insure rod is locked into slots IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1356.JPG Insure the three clips that hold unit on assembly are locked in IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1356.JPG Two up front one in back. Then insure float arm moves freely IMG_1349.JPG Same in reverse for installing. I do not reuse the nuts. Replace with new ones. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wow Sonny, this is great thanks.
If it's possible ould you do a video of how you take off odd float sender and how to install that ? The gas filter looks fairly easy to install?
Was there a reason you took gas tank completely off? I just hate to do that with a fresh paint job and scratch it being up side down . I would like just to lift tank in the up position.
Is there a reason to replace all nuts for bottom of gas pump? And not use the original ones?
Nice step bye step. Thanks I'm sure this will be good for others as well.

Bike is in tear down so gas tank was already off. I would not try this job with gas tank on bike. Place gas tank on a bench with a towel under it. Float sender hooks on by the three clips shown in pics. Wiring is simple. The nuts are designed to be used one time only. I guess you could reuse the nuts but since we are dealing with gas I prefer not to. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Back