Freeze Plug Leak

britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
Just FYI for anyone who has noticed a slight anti-freeze smell while riding but never found a leak. Today I installed a K&N crank case filter (#62-1340) since I run an under the tank K&N set up. (Brian is right about the install, loosen the air filter box for the additional room unless you have hands like an anorexic teenage girl.) During the procedure I noticed a little antifreeze seepage around what appears to be a freeze plug located on the rear of the exhaust side of the engine. I sealed the plug with a little Marine Tech after a conservative tighten and will probably back it out and coat it with Teflon tape doing the next anti-freeze change. Just FYI in case anyone else has had this problem. Here is a bad shot of the plug.

Hi Britman
Yes mine is leaking to. I looked up parts on Bike Bandit,Triumph have made an
upgrade on this part .They now seal this plug with a copper washer,But looks like the
block has been machined differently to accept this as you can see the washer on the outer edge of the plug. I wil have to fix mine as well in the next few days , I am not sure how yet until I take it out , maybe some high temp silicon .
If some body can send you a picture of an 07 model you will see the difference.

Last edited:
My solution..

If I had this problem, I would take the plug out, clean it real good on a wire wheel or find wire brush and put a coat of Teflon Pipe Joint sealant on the threads and put it back in being careful not to over tighten it.
I have used Permatex type products too but always worried about getting that stuff loose in the water jackets. Just a suggestion....Good Luck...SB.

Mitch.....

That bike needs a bath.

I suspect that the plug on the later bikes has a wider head with an undercut to carry the copper sealing washer (without removing it to look, that is). You'd not have to modify the casting at all, but you would have to spotface the boss to accept the washer which would preclude the later application in earlier engines as that's a machining operation for a bare block. Most likely the best bet would be the pink PTFE Teflon tape. Of course there is no torque specification in the shop manual for the plug. I'd say, snug it down but don't get stupid with it. There ain't a lot of meat around the perhiphery and you could crack the edge of the gallery on the outside of the casting.I'll take a shot (don't sue me, I claim ignorance) of no more than 15 foot pounds.

Needs a bath ??

C'mon Flip, I ain't washing it till I install my brake line clamps and my handlebar clamps...Without those it just ain't complete !

How did I know as soon as I posted The pic someone would say that. I even contemplated washing it before I took the pic, but it is 34 degrees here. That's what a bike looks like in the winter in Seattle. Like I tell my wife, I bought it to ride it, now, if you let me park it in the front room, that's a different story !

Mitch

Mitch:

They will be at the Post Office at 9am tomorow. They are sitting right next to me on the desk.

As far as a dirty bike, a poser bike is malways clean and a driver is always dirty.

I posted a picture relating to something and it wasn't even the Rocket and Jack immediately commented on the 'filth'...so I had to get you.

I liked your comment......'Merry Christmas to me':D

Busajack,

Ok, Ok, that's what I get for helping out the forum. I'll go wash it right now. I'll know better next time !!!

Merry Christmas to all !! Santa asked to borrow the Rocket for his route tomorrow night. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Mitch

Back