Found New Scorpion Battery Option

Just be aware of the warning on their website -
LiFePo4 Batteries are sensitive to heat. If the battery will be sitting directly on top of the engine and/or surrounded by the oil pan, we do NOT recommend using any Lithium Battery.

Just be aware of the warning on their website -

LiFePo4 Batteries are sensitive to heat. If the battery will be sitting directly on top of the engine and/or surrounded by the oil pan, we do NOT recommend using any Lithium Battery.

You don't want to hold it between your legs either!!! ;) :eek:

bob

A little LiPo/LiFePO4 info for the un-informed, these are universal truths regardless of manufacturer claims:

If allowed to die, or go flat, even once there is a good chance the battery is damaged internally. If it takes a charge again, it will almost certainly perform sub-par concerning it's cca capability.

All Lithium batteries will fail in a catastrophic manner if overcharged, most of them have control circuitry built in, but if it fails you will have a fire or small explosion under your ass. Typically LiPo will explode when they fail and LiFePO4 will burn.

They should be balance charged at least monthly if you want them to last. Some, like ballistics, include balance charging ports, others do not.

They tend to weigh around 10% of stock betteries.

They DO NOT like subzero starts. In the cold it may act like it's dead. Just try to start it a few times and the internal chemistry will warm it up and allow you to start the bike.

That said, I love the one I have in my Daytona, works great and saves 10 pounds off the bike. I use a balance charger frequently and it's lasted almost 2 years now.

Also - there is a cell charge difference between LiPo and LiFePO4.

a 4S LiPo ime will overpower any "12V" electronics unless you Buck the output voltage down a bit. May also require a Boost circuit to get enough voltage across to charge from Vehicle Alternators. And a 3s wont cut it.

A 4S LiFePO4 will generally not as it's charged potential is inside what vehicle "12V" limits generally are.

A LiPo will ignite if you discharge TOO rapidly - A LiFePO4 smokes a bit.

Also worth noting that not all "Lithium" batteries are starter battery adequate - many of the cheaper ones are designed for deep charge and sustained lower amperage discharge. For a starter you need something that will DUMP amps. Best I've tested are A123Systems which have a 70C discharge.

I forgot to add this about Lithium batteries: DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON A STANDARD TRICKLE CHARGER OVER THE WINTER! Charge it and pull it out of the bike and set it on a non conductive shelf inside your (heated) home.

No, its good to find stuff like this Warp for sure. Those "D" cell shape batteries are probably 26650s in series/parallel to get a 2 cell wide 12(14.2 full charged) output. They are the cells that most electric cars use, just in huge banks of them.

I would just hate for someone to throw it on a touring bike during winter, and end up with electrical issues far from home, not knowing why their new expensive battery wasn't performing!

Like I said, I have one on my Daytona, and it has worked very well for nearly two years now without any issues.

For those who feel a little experimental and like to DIY, you can build a 12 volt LiPo capable of starting a rocket for about $100.00 and some time to solder and test :) I know how, but the potential of burning my bike to the ground because of a faulty cell etc has kept me from doing so.

Back