Low battery effecting my 2 year old GT.

Saigon Jon

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 GT,
so, 2 year old rocket GT, used regularly with 10k on the clock. Started to have strange problems, felt like it was misfiring etc… then the quick shift stopped working. Took it to triumph service and it turned out the battery wasn’t holding its charge which was causing everything else to go wrong. Put in new battery and all is fine now. When the quick shift stopped working it never occurred to me that it would be battery related but it’s obvious if you think about it that the quick shift is electrical and probably required a certain amount of power to function. Just thought this might be useful to others experiencing similar issues. I was very surprised to have a 2 year old battery have issues.

so, 2 year old rocket GT, used regularly with 10k on the clock. Started to have strange problems, felt like it was misfiring etc… then the quick shift stopped working. Took it to triumph service and it turned out the battery wasn’t holding its charge which was causing everything else to go wrong. Put in new battery and all is fine now. When the quick shift stopped working it never occurred to me that it would be battery related but it’s obvious if you think about it that the quick shift is electrical and probably required a certain amount of power to function. Just thought this might be useful to others experiencing similar issues. I was very surprised to have a 2 year old battery have issues.
In my humble opinion....
1. Once running, unless there is an alternator failure, the battery is invisible, The system will be sitting at the regulated voltage. So, unlikely that it was causing the misfiring.
2. A dead or disconnected battery requires the owner to "enable" the quick shifter in the menu once 12v is reconnected. So, it was likely just not enabled.
3. Bought my YUASA on-line at a fraction of the dealer price.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not technical, but what you say makes perfect sense. When I picked up the bike the triumph service guy was a bit vague when I asked… he just said that installing the new battery fixed all the problems… and it’s running just great now. Fingers crossed that’s the end of that. Thx.

Back