Fog Light install

snuffcityrider

Living Legend
Got the fog lights installed, not too bad, took about 2 1/2 hours, I'll try to adjust them tomorrow after dark. Thanks for the tips eveyone.

2.5 hours??? What was the holdup? Ice cooler went empty requiring a 60 mile trip to the corner quick stop? I've the same install waiting me. Where were those tips you mentioned?

It took me 2.5 hrs today to install my fog lights as well. With only a brief pause for a black and tan Mic. Not bad for a half blind dude.
I swear the booklet sad right side route for install of voltage device (relay). It goes under the left side cover. Might have taken :20 less otherwise.
Had not the under tank connector not been hidden so well that might have been an additional :10.

Installed a tank bib as well. The absence of a soft felt underside was not right! For $80+ retail an OEM item such as this should have a means to minimize (via soft synthetic) paint scratch from mere suede leather and stiff sewn mendings. Sorry, sorry, sorry! I promise I'm only a discriminating American.

I love my redhead she thrills me; but, I adore my wife, she blows me away.

Last edited:
Installed a tank bib as well. The absence of a soft felt underside was not right! For $80+ retail an OEM item such as this should have a means to minimize (via soft synthetic) paint scratch from mere suede leather and stiff sewn mendings. Sorry, sorry, sorry! I promise I'm only a discriminating American.

I love my redhead she thrills me; but, I adore my wife, she blows me away.

I got mine for 60 but that's neither here no there. I'd be wary of a felt backing on the bib. Road grit between the felt and the painted tank would be hell on the clearcoat. Besides, I'm not sure if I like it and if I don't Bart wants it.......I was under the impression that we both were old, grey and blown away anyway.......:)

Actually, the Standox Catalyized finish on your Triumph is much more durable than the water borne coatings used on todays domestic automobiles.

2.5 hours??? What was the holdup? Ice cooler went empty requiring a 60 mile trip to the corner quick stop? I've the same install waiting me. Where were those tips you mentioned?
I've read (I think) all the threads concerning fog lights on this site, little things like the fact that the plug is under the tank. It was more encouragement than tips (thanks Sidecar) that made me decide to try it. Do be carefull of your handle bar height or you'll wind up with a small dent :eek: in your tank like I now have from the on and off switch when you turn your handle bars to the lock position. Did not realize that I would have to strip the bike down to the frame (not quite that bad) to put the lights on, but at $65 an hour (dealership price) I saved $130. Maybe that will be enough to get the small ding out of my tank:roll:

Yes the under tank connector is well forward along the main bundle. It was tucked up tight under the wad at the front. Obscured. It got a bit concerned when I looked at the picture and then realized the relay mount was meant for the left side. I've a Stebel horn under the left side already. The relay bracket fit as well. Whew!

Sure enough! 130 bucks minimum saved :D @ 2.5 hours. So easy even a cave man can do it:eek:

The word at the office is no more caveman jokes. We have to be sensitive and recognize diversity.:( Sad sad state of affairs.

SnuffCity - I'm guessing you don't have a Classic. The handle bars are a tad different on the Classic and no interference was realized between the switch housing and the tank. There is plenty of clearance with Classic/Tourer bars.

The night visibility is tremendously improved with the shallow and wide beam of the fog lights. No deer will escape my cyclops vision now. Those chrome deer whistles packaged in pairs, look to be a tad bit bigger than 338 magnums*, aren't worth depending on :( Drove by a doe 10 days ago, less than 10 feet away at o'dark 30. She was looking off into the woods totally unaware I was right next to her. She no doubt took a dump when the exhaust sound caught up to her. *Could be as big around as a 50 cal. I don't have one to compare.

Last edited:
SnuffCity - I'm guessing you don't have a Classic. The handle bars are a tad different on the Classic and no interference was realized between the switch housing and the tank. There is plenty of clearance with Classic/Tourer bars.

The night visibility is tremendously improved with the shallow and wide beam of the fog lights. No deer will escape my cyclops vision now. Those chrome deer whistles packaged in pairs, look to be a tad bit bigger than 338 magnums*, aren't worth depending on :( Drove by a doe 10 days ago, less than 10 feet away at o'dark 30. She was looking off into the woods totally unaware I was right next to her. She no doubt took a dump when the exhaust sound caught up to her. *Could be as big around as a 50 cal. I don't have one to compare.
Actually I do have the classic, in fact the bars or so low that the cable on the left side is rubbing the paint when in the locked position. That's how I got it from the dealer, I need to raise the bars.:eek:

Not on this subject at all, but concerning me is the plastic covered lead loom that goes to the instruments. I had to zip tie mine to the handlebars because when I was at full left lock, it was rubbing the tank, actually laying on the tank. I felt that was a poor design.

Back