Flabbergasting no start problem

Just take it out of the equation. Cut the switch out, solder the wires and shrink tube it. You still have the kick stand switch if you are afraid of it taking off on its own.

I just pulled the clip off the switch, pulled back the rubber cover to expose the two terminals then put screw driver across the terminals and pressed the starter, that’s when I took the switch off the perch and gave it a good clean.

Just take it out of the equation. Cut the switch out, solder the wires and shrink tube it. You still have the kick stand switch if you are afraid of it taking off on its own.
Cool.

Is that what you did? I will do that provided I don't screw it up. Electronics is my weakest skill but I can solder well and use shrink tube. I could care less about that switch. I just want the engine to start when commanded and for the fuel gauge to work (well, lights are good too).

I linked one in your other thread - $85 on EBay
Thanks. I got it and put it in my basket. I am going to try to cut the entire switch out and if that works, I will run it. I am afraid though that the fuel indicator/estimator will no longer work though. If I screw things up, I will just buy an entire harness.

... I am going to try to cut the entire switch out and if that works, I will run it. ...

Don't cut anything!! Just remove your old complete switch assembly from the perch and replace it with your 'new' switch assembly - the connector resides in the headlight.
Nothing to cut - plug n play with just a couple of screws.

100065589-0-2.jpg

You are going to replace item 2 as a whole - again, just unscrew the main switch from item 4 and unplug the connector in the headlight - remove that whole assembly of switch/clutch-switch/harness/connector
Reverse the process with the new part and then clip the clutch switch into the perch (item 4)

If I screw things up, I will just buy an entire harness.

Can't see any reason why you would need a new harness - you're not even doing anything to the main harness

Last edited:
OK. I am going to do that. Seems that my switch might be a bit different because it simply will not stay in the perch no matter what. If I could do away with this switch, I would love to but then I don't think the fuel gauge would work.

I had to replace my switch right after I purchased the bike, because the dealer mechanic misthreaded the steel screw in the soft aluminum of the switch housing, and they had to give me a new one, that I insisted on replacing myself.

As @DEcosse says, it's plug-n-play pretty much.

Put yourself in a good mood the night before, get plenty of rest, start early, surprise yourself with how easy it was, and go ride with a grin on your face.

I had to replace my switch right after I purchased the bike, because the dealer mechanic misthreaded the steel screw in the soft aluminum of the switch housing, and they had to give me a new one, that I insisted on replacing myself.

As @DEcosse says, it's plug-n-play pretty much.

Put yourself in a good mood the night before, get plenty of rest, start early, surprise yourself with how easy it was, and go ride with a grin on your face.
Excellent. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope this solves the no start problem.

Back