Flabbergasting no start problem

DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
It about drove me nuts today. Every stop . . . fiddling with the clutch switch and actuating the key in the ignition many cycles to get it started. I can't figure out if it is the clutch switch or the ignition.

I am about ready to take it to a "stealership" hauling it in and leaving it until fixed.

Anybody done business with Baker Cycles, Fayetteville, NC? They are my closest dealership and I have heard that they know the Rocket well. I like wrenching on bikes but this beast is a bit intimidating. Time is a factor also. Just don't have enough of it. If I can get this no start issue fixed, I plan on visiting tuneECU and doing the derestricting. Cable is on my desk, ready for adventure. Mine is an R3T.

I recently had a no start issue which drove me crazy, then one day I kept the start button in while pulling the clutch in & out and the starter motor engaged. So I removed the clutch switch from the perch, cleaned with electrical cleaner, soaked the switch in a mixture of vinegar and salt for 5 minutes to remove any corrosion inside the switch, washed the switch with a mixture of water and bicarbonate, gave the switch a good below out with the air hose then coated as much of the switch as I could with dielectric grease and now my starting problems are over.

I recently had a no start issue which drove me crazy, then one day I kept the start button in while pulling the clutch in & out and the starter motor engaged. So I removed the clutch switch from the perch, cleaned with electrical cleaner, soaked the switch in a mixture of vinegar and salt for 5 minutes to remove any corrosion inside the switch, washed the switch with a mixture of water and bicarbonate, gave the switch a good below out with the air hose then coated as much of the switch as I could with dielectric grease and now my starting problems are over.
Congrats. My switch will not stay in the housing. A clip or something must have broken off. I might have to buy an entire new assembly.

Try using a small zip tie to hold the switch firmly
I am about to pull out the JB weld. Another veteran here on the forum explained to me how this switch works and that the only way to fix it is to get an entirely new cable/switch mechanism. I have contacted Triumph about this and they gave me a case number but as of yet, no results. This switch is a problem for several Rocket owners. Very poor design.

As I explained in your other thread - the problem is NOT because it won't stay in the perch - when the switch is just hanging free the switch is 'made' - the same as if it were installed and the lever pulled. It's the fact that you said the plunger had completely come out of the switch that tells me the switch itself is a problem.

You are correct. I found it and stuffed that little plastic shaft back in there. It has a small metal "crown" on it which, I presume, makes the electrical connection. It is sporadic and will usually start with the right amount of jiggling around. I guess I will attempt to find an entire cable assembly and replace it myself. It does not look too hard. If I could find an expansion shim to hold the switch in position that might work. This switch was loose the day the bike arrived and the transporter might have inadvertently yanked it out, breaking the little catch on the switch.

If you really believe the switch is at fault - Bridge it and TEST.
I would like to KNOW. I have been writing Triumph about this for two months now, no response. I have a case number but it seems that somebody in their customer support department could at least follow up and explain to me what this switch does electrically. As Decosse said, it could be the ignition switch.

Back