Fine Tuning Your PCIII

T Evans

Supercharged
I visited with the mechanic yesterday at Performance Cycles in OKC, Nate, about changing out my ECU on my 06 Classic for one off of a Standard to be able to eliminate the top speed limiter which has me limited to 125 mph tops. In our conversation I told him I had just installed my new PCIII. He started asking questions about if I had reset the Idle Setting or if I had set the Cylinder Trim yet? I asked what the hell he was talking about? He asked if I had fully read the installation instructions on the CD that came with the PCIII? I told him all I done was down loaded the map for my bike and installed it on the bike. He informed me thats what 99% of all users do however there is alot more that the PCIII is able to do.

The reason I am bringing this up is because XDSKIP had removed his PCIII from his bike because he was changing out the exhaust and found that the rear cylinder appeared lean and the the front cylinder showed signs of being too rich. He thought that he might be doing some damage so he removed it from his bike.

During my conversation with Nate the triumph mechanic he told me about the Cylinder Trim feature where you can go into the program and adjust up to 10% + or - in each cylinder to compensate for what Skip had found on his bike. I told Nate about Skips bike and he said that the conditions that he had were not the best but they would by NO means have hurt the bike. He explained that is the reason to take your bike to a professional or at best to some one that has the knowledge to COMPLETE the installation process. He also informed me that by installing a PCIII would NOT void any factory warrenties.

I set down and loaded up the installation CD in the "puter" and read it from front to back and found the "idle reset and the cylinder trim" and decided that as soon as I can, I would be getting my bike to the dyno. Or at the very least, to Nate so he could complete the installation the way the boys at Power Commander had designed it.

I know that Skip will be reading this and to keep from having to send you a PM, I felt maybe there might be other captains out there that could benifit from this info also.

Big T

Maybe I'm ignorant about the Classic but I don't see what a different ECU would do to eliminate the top speed limiter. This is a parameter in the tune constants in the map in the ECU, not the ECU itself. To get rid of the speed limiter, you need to change this constant. I don't know of any way of doing this except with Tuneboy. I just tried it with a classic tune (20219) - raised the speed limit from 193 to 250 kph and it saved it in the revised map.

On the other hand, if you had an R3T, Tuneboy will not allow you to raise the speed limiter above 205 kph.

Good advice Mr T, that might be where my dealer found that "little bit extra" during the dyno tune. I'm still unsure as to wether that little bit was worth the $225 for the dyno, but I see where using an expert on it helps. I mean none of us can feel an extra 5hp, but you get the peace of mind knowing that
1) You got **** close by yourself ... and
2) Now you have all there is. :p

Maybe I'm ignorant about the Classic but I don't see what a different ECU would do to eliminate the top speed limiter. This is a parameter in the tune constants in the map in the ECU, not the ECU itself. To get rid of the speed limiter, you need to change this constant. I don't know of any way of doing this except with Tuneboy. I just tried it with a classic tune (20219) - raised the speed limit from 193 to 250 kph and it saved it in the revised map.

On the other hand, if you had an R3T, Tuneboy will not allow you to raise the speed limiter above 205 kph.

I don't know why T isn't going as fast as he wants, but my speed limiter was gone and hitting 150mph after installing a GiPro.

I heard from a captain on the other site that asked if the dealer could down load a Standard map into my Classic ECM and then install the PCIII, thus removing the factory speed limiter built into my ECM.
I am going to call Nate tomorrow and ask if that is possiable. I will keep you guys updated to weather he can or can't.

T

That is possible. I have a Classic and load standard tunes via the Tuneboy. Just make sure they load the 20222 tune and it is the standard base tune that most of the canned PCIII maps were created with.

There is also a cool accelerator pump feature that can be added to the PCIII. Toystoretom had his cranked up so much black smoke would pour out his exhaust under hard throttle.

Took my bike to a dyno tuner in Tulsa and wasn't impressed by their "expertise" at all.
I appreciate all the info and apparently I need to talk to Nate too.
Don't even know if I could find the CD or plugins anymore, I think I just threw it all on a shelf in the "toybox"..
Maybe I was smart enough to download it to the computer first.....
Probably not, I know me;).
Thanks though, can't wait to hear the results.

I heard from a captain on the other site that asked if the dealer could down load a Standard map into my Classic ECM and then install the PCIII, thus removing the factory speed limiter built into my ECM.
I am going to call Nate tomorrow and ask if that is possiable. I will keep you guys updated to weather he can or can't.

T

T, I am on every site and just to be clear loading a standard Rocket tune in the Classic moves the speed limiter to that of the standard which is higher then the Classic it does not remove it I do not believe there is a way to remove it . I did mine the day I bought it.

now with the Tune boy set the speed limiter to 500KPH

This still does not remove it but it lifts it to 310.69 mph which IMO is out of my reach and therefore out of the way:D

I know your not found of tune boy but as long as your just loading tunes from them and or good tunes from people that are running them in there Rockets. you will not be messing with the timing at all. the key to not messing with it is to make sure you go slow and stay off the timing tabs when you just messing with fuel trim. And Always have a your original tune backed up so if you think you changed stuf in the wrong area you just go back and reload your last good tune.

Nate will be able to load the standard tune I garantee that!!!!

Last edited:
I am sorry to be confusing this is what you would see on a Tune boy page. Nate and any Tech do not see the speed liniter on their Triumph hand held controller (computer the Technitions plug into your bike to load Triumph tunes) They cannot alter tunes just install them which is why Nate has to install a standard Rocket tune in your bike. The standard Rocket tunes no matter which one they install have the same speed limiter setting which is about 138 this is preset from the factory. It will allow you to find the end of the speedo you want to hit. The omly way too go faster then the factory setting of a standard Rocket is Tune Boy. This is most likely do to the speed rating of the tires which I believe is 149 mph.
If I am still confusing you call me
309-202-1298
Scott

Back