Speedo needle dead, P1500 error code, odometer works fine

So now, to order a new road speed sensor and reinstall the stock clocks back on the bike.
Which is of course exactly what I would do if the whole shebang hadn't just started working again ... perfectly.

Intermittent faults. I really hate those.

I guess I'll put it all back together properly tomorrow and see if it still works then.
I'm now suspecting an issue somewhere in the wiring harness.
At least I don't have to buy a sensor ... yet.

Incidentally, the Orange/Red speedo signal wire is a 0 - 3V square wave with a pulse every 90ms at 20kmh. Much slower than the road speed sensor output. I didn't actually measure the frequency but the scale was totally different to the speedo signal from the ECU. 0 - 5V square wave on the road speed sensor.

I think u have it fixed.
I am going to guess that is a halls type vss.
Also i think that the ecu sends a signal to the speedo at ign on so the ecu checks the circuit and founf a prob
so it set the 1500 code and disabled (fail safe) speedo.
Then it sent u on a wild goose chase lol.
The plus side of this is u stuck with it and got it done and also wrote a good book (lol) for the rest of the captions.
Thank you

I think u have it fixed.
I am going to guess that is a halls type vss.
Also i think that the ecu sends a signal to the speedo at ign on so the ecu checks the circuit and founf a prob
so it set the 1500 code and disabled (fail safe) speedo.
Then it sent u on a wild goose chase lol.
The plus side of this is u stuck with it and got it done and also wrote a good book (lol) for the rest of the captions.
Thank you
Yes, on the plus side learning is occurring from where I sit... :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Don't you hate intermittent problems especially when you think/hope you've fixed them??? They're only intermittent if they are intermittent.... Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting process with us. Learned a lot from it. :thumbsup:

OK, I put it all back together.

Good news is that the speedo now shows speed.

Bad news is that the trip meters still reset every time I switch the bike off and the odometer display is still kinda dim. Perhaps the constant power to the speedo (purple wire) from the battery is the issue there. I cleared the P1500 error code and started the bike several times without it returning but then eventually it came back. So there's still something wonky going on in there.

While I was at it, I also measured the frequency of the pulses from the road speed sensor.

ECU to speedo: 0 - 3V square wave pulse every 90ms at 20kmh (11.1111111... Hz).
Road speed sensor to ECU: 0 - 5V square wave pulse every 2.2ms at 20kmh (454.5454545454... Hz).

Didn't have a frequency counter, just eyeballing it on the scope so it's somewhat approximate.

The pulses are symmetrical for both. That is, they spend the same time high as they do low.

The next test will be to see if the speedo is accurate. Given the revs and gear I used on the stand, I've no reason to doubt it. But we'll see.

I guess it's some progress anyway. Going for a 4 day ride over the ANZAC day weekend (23rd - 26th April) and will hopefully get an SS1600K ride done then.

At least it's rideable, just gotta rewire the GPS into it beforehand in case the speedo fails again.

Last edited:
OK, I put it all back together.

Good news is that the speedo now shows speed.

Bad news is that the trip meters still reset every time I switch the bike off and the odometer display is still kinda dim. Perhaps the constant power to the speedo (purple wire) from the battery is the issue there. I cleared the P1500 error code and started the bike several times without it returning but then eventually it came back. So there's still something wonky going on in there.

While I was at it, I also measured the frequency of the pulses from the road speed sensor.

ECU to speedo: 0 - 3V square wave pulse every 90ms at 20kmh (11.1111111... Hz).
Road speed sensor to ECU: 0 - 5V square wave pulse every 2.2ms at 20kmh (454.5454545454... Hz).

Didn't have a frequency counter, just eyeballing it on the scope so it's somewhat approximate.

The pulses are symmetrical for both. That is, they spend the same time high as they do low.

The next test will be to see if the speedo is accurate. Given the revs and gear I used on the stand, I've no reason to doubt it. But we'll see.

I guess it's some progress anyway. Going for a 4 day ride over the ANZAC day weekend (23rd - 26th April) and will hopefully get an SS1600K ride done then.

At least it's rideable, just gotta rewire the GPS into it beforehand in case the speedo fails again.
Seems like the the purple wire has a crimp connector in the loom that has been an issue for others. Maybe this will jog someone's memory. If it happens again you might check the connection.

Seems like the the purple wire has a crimp connector in the loom that has been an issue for others. Maybe this will jog someone's memory. If it happens again you might check the connection.
Thanks. I'll check that.

i think there is a 5 amp fuse(reg rocket) for that u might change fuse and monitor voltage at that fuse.
Yes, that fuse is also for the accessory socket and heated grips, both of which are working fine so it's probably not the fuse.

Voltage on purple wire is solid so that's not it.

Yet speedo still resets the trip meters when the engine is switched off.

To my mind that indicates there is an issue within the speedo gauge unit itself. Is there an internal fuse in them?

I've even tried re-uploading the map into the ECU to see if there was an issue there. Made no difference.

I'm at the point now where I feel it's time to disassemble the speedo gauge and see what's going on inside it.

Back