Speedo needle dead, P1500 error code, odometer works fine

TURBO200R4

stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$
Ride
07 rocket III classic
I use a garmin for speed and miles.
There has been a few that had bad speedosq.
I seem to recall a thread about using a different speedo.

ChrisACT

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III Special Edition
P1500 is a Vehicle speed output circuit malfunction
P0500 is a Vehicle speed sensor malfunction.

So my problem isn't the sensor. It's on the output side of the ECU. Either the ECU itself, the wiring loom or the speedo.

ChrisACT

.060 Over
Ride
Given the price of them ... perhaps aftermarket is the go.

Acewell ACE-44xx looks like it has the features I want. About half the price of the OEM speedo.

ACE-4453CP.jpg

I've read here that some have had issues with Acewell units but I might give it a go anyway. The Daytona and Koso stuff doesn't do it for me.

ACE-4000 sereis Multi-Function Speedometer, with Digital LCD Display and needle gauge

Interestingly, the Acewell should work with the stock speedo output from the Triumph ECU. It'll handle up to 7,000 pulses per second for the speed input (up to 199 pulses per wheel revolution and wheels up to 3,999mm circumference). I think I read that the Rocket ECU puts out 48 pulses per wheel revolution so unless I manage to get the old girl up to Mach 0.9 ... it should handle it.

Acewell Cross Reference

I can replace both gauges this way and perhaps find some space behind the fly screen for my GPS so it doesn't keep getting splattered with bugs.

Last edited:

ChrisACT

.060 Over
Ride
Speedo arrived. Less than 48 hours after I ordered it. Can't do much better than that.

I've also ordered an Oscilloscope so I can check out what signals are coming out of the ECU as far as tacho and speedo goes. That should arrive within the week. I've read the other threads on here about it so we'll see how that goes getting it all to work. May need a pull up or pull down resistor on those wires.
Worst case scenario, I just plug the tach wire into the coil and use the included magnetic speedo sensor. But if I can get it to work with the existing loom I'll document how I did it here so everyone else can know how to make Acewell gauges work on the old Rockets.
The tricky bit might actually be mounting it in a tidy and factory (ish) looking manner.