Your Rocket Could Potentially Run Much Better.

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
This information is not new. Many captains are already fully aware, but may still overlook this common cause of either obviously poor running, or a slight “seems like something’s not right” feeling. I often put off checking this when something seems amiss, as it almost seems too obvious, too easy, (assuming surely something more major) but having just for the umpteenth time done this fix I just thought I’d just pass it on. Maybe someone will see it for the first time....

Sometimes with my bike it seems like there are days when she runs amazing and on others just pretty darn good. On the good days the bike is a screaming meanie (@Neville Lush cams and pistons), very snatchy, while on other days it feels like.. yeah’s it’s fast, but seems like something is slightly off.

Just the other day I checked the lead wires to the coils. They get loose over time- vibration. Two and Three are easy to check, but #1 is buried deep in the head stock and I typically, just lazily, assume/hope that one is fine. Turns out when I went to the trouble the other day to check that one it wasn’t fine. If you can wiggle the lead on the connection to the coil it’s loose. It could also be that the male spade actually is not inside the female lead, but wedged between the lead and the plastic lead cover. It’ll run and, maybe/sometimes pretty good, but not at full potential.

To some this is just a reminder- if the bike seems “off,” or worse check the leads. Crimp them down with needle nose pliers (not too much), just so that the connection is tight. Put a little dialectic grease in there for good measure.

If you’re new here, you may want to just go ahead and check these connections even if you think your bike is the witch’s titts. You may find that the bike you thought all this time was super fast was actually somewhat limping along- not at full potential. If so, doing this simple fix will put that shiite eating grin right back on your face. Give it a shot.

So much so, my tuner changed those connectors last tune, like anything they move they wear, and loosen, told me to go get some that were tight, real tight, so i did and he installed and tuned to 217hp. i have installed a new wiring harness and he will expect the oem clips gone for tune coming up, in german, frustratingly, they must be tight, very tight, now change them :roll:

So much so, my tuner changed those connectors last tune, like anything they move they wear, and loosen, told me to go get some that were tight, real tight, so i did and he installed and tuned to 217hp. i have installed a new wiring harness and he will expect the oem clips gone for tune coming up, in german, frustratingly, they must be tight, very tight, now change them :roll:
Goodntight?

These 90 degree connectors have a release tab button, when you push on they have a pin that snaps into to the plug that holds it on by that tab, not by tightness, that tab if it gets broke or loose i can see why from time to time a captain has a strange issue that may go on for a while, when black boot is on you don't see that tab, and if you just yank it off without pushing in on that tab, well it looks like it gets bent or pulled out and doesn’t do its job of a tab lock. You'd have to know tab lock is there. The ones I bought last time are just push on and hard to get pushed on, I'm looking for better 90s as these are straight and I wasn't happy with straight. And these factory 90s are a little too big, wire barely captures in barrel locks on insulation and wire.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What connectors did you use?

Back