Hello alpental, I have a 2013 R3R, and the slight oil leak I'm experiencing is just as you describe. Oil appears to be seeping out around the cam cover gasket at the front corner on the exhaust side of the engine. I'm tempted to replace the gasket myself. I have a shop manual and have done light mechanical work over the years, but I haven't done this particular job on any of the Rockets I've owned. Would you advise me to leave this job for a Triumph mechanic? Thanks!

Not a difficult job - just clean everything well, use a little sealant and be careful to position the gasket just right.

We unfortunately do not have a dealership servicing Tacoma or my area of Kitsap County. When I bought my 09 Touring I took it to the Seattle dealership, which requires a ferry ride to Edmonds and then about 10 miles in traffic to the dealer. I had all fluids changed, waiting while they did the service, and they sent me home with a balooned radiator hose. They are nice folks and it looks like and old timey dealership but not replacing a bad rad hose. Really? I should have done it all myself.

We unfortunately do not have a dealership servicing Tacoma or my area of Kitsap County. When I bought my 09 Touring I took it to the Seattle dealership, which requires a ferry ride to Edmonds and then about 10 miles in traffic to the dealer. I had all fluids changed, waiting while they did the service, and they sent me home with a balooned radiator hose. They are nice folks and it looks like and old timey dealership but not replacing a bad rad hose. Really? I should have done it all myself.

Mike,
For me tis the same distance to the Seattle or Issaquah dealers. I prefer Issaquah.

Mike,
For me tis the same distance to the Seattle or Issaquah dealers. I prefer Issaquah.

Hopefully I won't have to use one again in my lifetime. I watched Rob check your valve shims and other than the challenge of getting a grip on them to remove, it looked fairly straightforward.

And yes, I've been to Issaquah. That's a fer piece for me and I regret the Tacoma shop closed. Nice folks they were. They did the services on my 07 Classic and my daughter's 06 Speedmaster with nary a complaint from me. The head mechanic was really good.

Getting ready to do it again. This time with a flare (New Cams) Gasket is going to be the same story as before. Stock gasket started to leak and twist at around 15,000 miles. Gasket i installed still looks good after 20,000. Reason is because cleaned everything up real good. Got everything out of the way including throttle body and coils. Good time to clean throttle body anyhow. Removed gas tank not just lifted. Clean open shot at all nine bolts. Makes a difference. Used a high quality torque wrench IMG_0236.JPG Took my time and worked my way around several times. Reversed torque sequence every time. Starting with number one and starting new torque sequence at number nine working backwards. Did it about four times until final torque was achieved. Did replace all nine seals around bolts. Believe that was very important. Did use a high quality sealant on taps but no where else. No problems then and expect no problems with this one. Valve check clearance is tricky. If you do not have the feel your screwed. To tight no good to loose and your get noises. It is all bout the feel. Took a Bonneville one time to a shop a long time ago for a valve job. Got screwed. Sounded like a Fuc4king sewing machine riding home. Got home and fixed it. Same knowledge applies to the rocket. Shim and bucket all the same when you get right down to it. Maybe a little different procedure but same principal. Good luck with your shop mechanics. They get paid by the hour. Not by how well the job is done. Never do get in a hurry when working on any bike. Would rather take my time pay attention to detail and get her done right. Did remove the cams on the last valve job no big deal. This time replacing cams no big deal there either. Simply a easy job. Tuning different story. do not have the intelligence for that. Luckily got that covered. Every time i wash my bike it is a formal inspection. Nuts bolts etc. any leaks (none found so far) hoses etc. Just common sense. My ride daily to and from work you do not want to break down. Out in the sticks is a understatement. You break down from lack of maintenance and paying attention can leave you with your thumb up your As4 for a long time. 50,000 thousand miles and riding strong. After this next round of upgrades really strong and reliable. Just saying.Wow:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back