Hello alpental, I have a 2013 R3R, and the slight oil leak I'm experiencing is just as you describe. Oil appears to be seeping out around the cam cover gasket at the front corner on the exhaust side of the engine. I'm tempted to replace the gasket myself. I have a shop manual and have done light mechanical work over the years, but I haven't done this particular job on any of the Rockets I've owned. Would you advise me to leave this job for a Triumph mechanic? Thanks!
You can do it. Take your time and be organized, patient and clean. If you have a manual you should be all set. The parts are cheap but my guess is you will pay more than $300.00 for the repair at a shop. Good luck. Honestly it is a pretty basic repair.

You can do it. Take your time and be organized, patient and clean. If you have a manual you should be all set. The parts are cheap but my guess is you will pay more than $300.00 for the repair at a shop. Good luck. Honestly it is a pretty basic repair.

Mine is the same. It looks like a tear in the gasket. Thing is there is barely any oil coming out. After a 33 mile run this morning I checked and I could only describe it as someone had wiped a very small area with WD40. it is shiney with very little oil there. I am half tempted to just ooze a little black silicone in there (and I am talking about a pin head amount about 1 cm long). Not enough to go through the head, just enough for a temporary fix until the major service when it should be replaced as part of the valve shims check.

It has got worse but is still a slight seep. It is due its 20000 mile service in 3 weeks so I will leave it as the dealership changes the gasket anyway.

As an addendum, I purchased some high temp, black, gasket sealant. I smeared a very small amount over the splits and it leaks a lot less now. I guess because there is very little pressure pushing the oil out the sealant stopped the seeping. it will suffice until the service.

I got home tonight and found that all three nuts were finger tight! A quarter turn on each and now I’ll keep an eye on it

There are a total of 9 bolts holding the valve cover in place. The 3 you see on the exhaust side are easy to get at. There are 3 on the other side, 2 in front and 1 in the back that also need to be snugged up. Easy to do with the tank raised.

@Azisbest , I have not dealt with Chandler as I live in Buckeye, AZ with a gorgeous 2018 roadster. I am glad your bike is back with you.
I have been dealing with GoAZ in Peoria and Scottsdale in trying to get upgrades but only with some help. Last year, I a shorty 3 in 1 from dave platt exhausts from Nottingham England and made a world of difference. People say its just as loud as my former 2016 road glide special with vance and hines duels.
The rocket 3 is a great bike if we can have someone local to help with tuning the bike with small mods that would be great. I recently learned from dynojet that there is no power commander 5 yet, according to their techs via email, that is specific for a 2018. They say it should should work but wont back it. Ride safe ya"ll and watch out for cagers

@Azisbest , I have not dealt with Chandler as I live in Buckeye, AZ with a gorgeous 2018 roadster. I am glad your bike is back with you.
I have been dealing with GoAZ in Peoria and Scottsdale in trying to get upgrades but only with some help. Last year, I a shorty 3 in 1 from dave platt exhausts from Nottingham England and made a world of difference. People say its just as loud as my former 2016 road glide special with vance and hines duels.
The rocket 3 is a great bike if we can have someone local to help with tuning the bike with small mods that would be great. I recently learned from dynojet that there is no power commander 5 yet, according to their techs via email, that is specific for a 2018. They say it should should work but wont back it. Ride safe ya"ll and watch out for cagers
check out kyle or adam at 2 guyes on McQueen st in gilbert best you will find they will do it right last of thew shops that will earn youre buisiness

Back