I agree, wait untill you receive the system from Dave P. My shorty system didn't require any of the original gaskets as they were sleeve fits with clamps. Other comments regarding the system:
  • Fitted system on a Saturday morning, all parts fitted together perfectly with no issues
  • The weight difference between new and original systems was 25lbs
  • The exhaust sound and noise levels were very different from the standard system
  • Noise level was very much higher on idle and could be described more as a growl
  • Above 3,000rpm it was a triple cylinder symphony....
  • Had dealer instal TORS tune
Spot on! especially the bit about the symphony above 3000RPM :):)

Okay guys, here is the quicky report. Finally finished up the DP Custom Twin Exhaust this evening and it did not disappoint!;)
Haven't changed the ECU tune yet. However, I did do the 12 minute tune while putting tools away etc. When I first started her up, I was amazed at just the difference in the sound at idle. It didn't sound like a tractor any longer. Much deeper tone and quite a few decibels louder. After the 12 minute tune I had no choice but to go for a short ride. Throttle response seems a little quicker and also seemed to run stronger while rolling on the throttle. I really like the tone and after 3000 RPM it sings just as Bullseye reported. I still have RAMAIR to install so I will get a tune from Hanso when it is completed. I am getting some decel popping but that was happening previously to the new exhaust. I am very happy with my choice. Thanks for all the input from you guys!
Build quality is excellent as well as fitment. Installation was straight forward and available support from Dave Platt through the process of ordering and installing. Dave is a super guy and I was really pleased with his communication and helpfulness.
One more upgrade will probably be a header from Paul as soon as I can save a few more nickels. Pictures attached. Sorry for the flash! :whitstling:
20171017_214610.jpg
20171017_214643.jpg

Great looking pipes. Will Paul's header fit the new pipes. I suspect but don't know, that Paul's headers would be of a larger diameter (otherwise apart from looks why would you get them) and therefore would not fit. I am genuinely interested as those DP Mufflers look great and I may go that path. Thought I would have to talk to Paul and Dave to ensure a snug fit

I think you will find most of the improvement to exhaust flow on a stock engine is design and pipe dia from engine to collector. The stock outlet size if specified from collector back (Paul makes to request) will make little to no difference with a good set of high flowing aftermarket cans etc from Dave Platt or elsewhere on a stock engine with just tune, filter and exhaust improvements.

I think Dave"s setup and better intake flow would have the greatest gains. However, I would like to know what gains to expect from Paul"s custom header in addition. There are some on the forum that give it accolades for modest improvement on its own. (Paul will chime in.)
I wanted to also mention that Dave"s system came with the crossover pipe that also improves flow. I am very pleased with the design and tolerances of the connections. Just enough tolerance to make minute adjustments but very, very tight fit. :cool:

The first header that I built I supplied a reducer to step the 2" Tail pipe down to the stock size of 1¾", this is removable.
I built these headers like this as there was a lot of aftermarket rear end systems such as the DP systems out there.
This header with reducer was a direct replacement for the stock header.

G.jpg

This would plug straight in to the stock CAT/mufflers etc (all models)

D.jpg

When I first got my bike I dropped the CAT and three mufflers out.
I made a prototype cross over pipe with two mufflers.

100_1088.JPG

This made a noticeable difference to the performance of the bike.
Some time later I fitted one of my headers (with the reducer) straight into this free flow cross over and mufflers.
Also fitted K&N Pods at this time. Along with a tune to suit.
Now this really woke the bike up. Amazingly (to me) the exhaust note was actually quieter :confused:
The performance was seriously improved, a whooooole heap more fun :D
I'm working on a system now that will eliminate that 1¾" restriction, that I'm sure will make a noticeable improvement.
Cruising on the open road I get 40MPG, blasting through the hills I get 26MPG and it is tuned correctly !

Overall, fitting the header (along with the K&N's and tune) made the most significant difference.

IMG_1132.JPG

Great looking pipes. Will Paul's header fit the new pipes. I suspect but don't know, that Paul's headers would be of a larger diameter (otherwise apart from looks why would you get them) and therefore would not fit. I am genuinely interested as those DP Mufflers look great and I may go that path. Thought I would have to talk to Paul and Dave to ensure a snug fit

Mate I have a set of DP Mufflers that I took off my bike (2015 R3R) when I upgraded to a Full CES system, they only got about 5000 km of use on them. If your interested, I would let them go for $550 and you pay the postage?

The opportunities are endless to match Viking or CES to either Dave Platt or OEM Triumph TORS especially sexy Black cat free ones which are going for just $500 brand new in the Classifieds.
Come to the Nyngan RDU next week and you may even be able to fit them there. ;):D

Back