Electrical plugs under Rocket III Touring tank

The VIN number identifies the bike and model year etc as applied by the manufacturer when being shipped to export destination. It ensures the correct up to date local variants of design rules are complete. As Aussie spec compliant machines they may have been produced on the assembly line earlier but only had their Australian VIN compliance plates fitted when they arrive in Australia or are being shipped from the UK to Australia.

If you look at the date stamps on components on new bikes they could be from parts bins and easily 2-3 years old as no changes have occurred. This was especially true for the R3T components which likely stopped being produced in 2016/7 or earlier as the model was nearing end of 'production' life.

I have edited my previous post #20

Last edited:
@Ishrub

That was a great bit of info you gave there. I have an A=2010, too.
And it looks like most VIN's start with SMT...
Any idea what those first 9 digits stand for? I assume they are assigned inside manufacturer designations akin to MAC addresses in computer components.

@Ishrub

That was a great bit of info you gave there. I have an A=2010, too.
And it looks like most VIN's start with SMT...
Any idea what those first 9 digits stand for? I assume they are assigned inside manufacturer designations akin to MAC addresses in computer components.

It is all covered in the thread link below, I just re-posted here the year ID bit.

How to Identify bike model from VIN Number in UK

If you look at the date stamps on components on new bikes they could be from parts bins and easily 2-3 years old as no changes have occurred. This was especially true for the R3T components which likely stopped being produced in 2016/7 or earlier as the model was nearing end of 'production' life.
Sounds like Guzzi's from the 80's where so many parts were interchangeable between models - there were quite a few " Ooops - that part bin is empty" hibrids.

Great discussion, but no one actually answered your questions about which plug is which:

1) Heated grips connector
2) GPS Power connector
3) Aux Lights connector

You can tap into that GPS connector for the switching portion of your PC-8 relay. It will be off when the bike is off and is 12 v, but low current.

You can't get the GPS connector from Triumph any longer. It was only a pair of wires with flat terminals anyway. However, you can get a 2-pin AMP plug for less then $5 shipped and plug right in with your own custom wiring harness to your relay. I just made my own connector for my GPS power. I also made custom connectors for the aux lights as I am using an aftermarket set from Clearwater. Still working on connectors for the heated grips though as I am trying to use aftermarket grips and heaters connected the OEM harness and switch. The connectors are non-standard.

Great bike and a very nice find. Likely one of the last touring models made.

Great discussion, but no one actually answered your questions about which plug is which:

1) Heated grips connector
2) GPS Power connector
3) Aux Lights connector

You can tap into that GPS connector for the switching portion of your PC-8 relay. It will be off when the bike is off and is 12 v, but low current.

You can't get the GPS connector from Triumph any longer. It was only a pair of wires with flat terminals anyway. However, you can get a 2-pin AMP plug for less then $5 shipped and plug right in with your own custom wiring harness to your relay. I just made my own connector for my GPS power. I also made custom connectors for the aux lights as I am using an aftermarket set from Clearwater. Still working on connectors for the heated grips though as I am trying to use aftermarket grips and heaters connected the OEM harness and switch. The connectors are non-standard.

Great bike and a very nice find. Likely one of the last touring models made.

Thank you!!

Completely agree about the bike, it’s a beautiful thing

Back