Electrical plugs under Rocket III Touring tank

Rocket_Rider

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3 Touring 2018
Hello braintrust of all things rocket III touring,

Im looking to wire in a beaver electronics PC-8 and have it connect straight into switched power on one of the vacant plugs under the tank - problem is I don't know which plug is which.

I have attached 3 images - plugs 1, 2, and 3 - Id be grateful if someone can tell me which one is which!

thanks

plug 1.jpg
plug 2.jpg
plug 3.jpg

With the ignition on use a multimeter to see if you get 12v across any 2 terminals on each of the free plugs. Be sure it goes again when you switch ignition off (e.g. iirc the purple wire on the #1 plug is always live)
But you'll need to ensure the fuse for that plug is rated right for the PC-8. Worst case you can put an auxiliary fuse inline on the live to your PC-8 from whatever source you use.
Or you could wire PC-8 direct from battery via relay with inline fuse and use the switched power source to switch on the relay.

#1 looks like accessory heated grips, don't know what #2 and #3 are but probably accessory plugs. If you give us the wire colours on them we can read it from the Touring wiring diagram and tell you

Last edited:
Recommend you wire directly to battery, those are all accessory circuits (GPS, Fog lights and heated grips) with proper size fuse for application. You will easily overload the circuit.

Recommend you wire directly to battery, those are all accessory circuits (GPS, Fog lights and heated grips) with proper size fuse for application. You will easily overload the circuit.
Ok I’m a bit confused.... my understanding is the PC8 does wire straight to battery but there is also a switching lead that needs to go to switched power to tell the pc8 to power switched sources on and off when you turn bike on and off? Maybe I’m getting it wrong but that’s my understanding? This is the install page link: Installation

Ok I’m a bit confused.... my understanding is the PC8 does wire straight to battery but there is also a switching lead that needs to go to switched power to tell the pc8 to power switched sources on and off when you turn bike on and off? Maybe I’m getting it wrong but that’s my understanding? This is the install page link: Installation

From the instructions I would say you're correct. It appears that the switched input is just telling the pc8 the state of the ignition switch. I don't think you should have any issues using one of those plugs as I can't see the on/off signal being a high amp operation.

Question though. Is your R3T actually a 2018? I thought the last year of production was 2017

You are correct. I have that mod, and the switched wire is for sensing only. You can tap almost anything close to the battery -- as @R-III-R Turbo said, you'll want to ensure, checking with a meter, that whatever you tap is in fact switched.

Did we go over this before -- you think you have a 2018 Touring, and the conventional wisdom is the Touring production ceased in 2016 ?

Here is another option courtesy of @Bedifferent.
It works swell for me!
And I like your idea of the PC-8!!!

When looking for a switched wire I used my taillight wire which is yellow. You will find that wire under the right side cover behind the ECU on the R3T. You will find the taillight/brakelight connector there. The harness isn't overly long so I separated the connector, removed some of the harness tape, strip some of the yellow wire insulation away an "soldered" a wire splice to the yellow wire. I taped the wiring back up and put the connector backed together. I have had no issues using that wire as a switched voltage source.

And about that 2018 Touring....:p

From the instructions I would say you're correct. It appears that the switched input is just telling the pc8 the state of the ignition switch. I don't think you should have any issues using one of those plugs as I can't see the on/off signal being a high amp operation.

Question though. Is your R3T actually a 2018? I thought the last year of production was 2017

Hi Bill,

Yes well my rego papers say 2018... actual time built who knows.... anyway I can check?

Back