Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
Awhile back I posted some pics of my Aussie friend's new R3 that were taken in the shop where it was to be customized. I received photos of the beautifully completed modifications and Einar asked me to post them with his comments. I can't recall if I had mentioned it previously but several years ago Einar's earlier model Rocket was totaled in an accident. Comment's are Einar's

A screen from Powerbronze, small but both stylish and highly effective.
thumbnail_IMG_0503 (1).jpg

See the carbon fibre fender, giving the bike a bagger look, as well as protecting it. The Triumph hugger was tiny and ineffective. The number plate was made for a frame which has an auxiliary LED running and brakelight, as well as LED lighting for the plate itself.
thumbnail_IMG_0505 (1).jpg

A view from the shaft drive side - the fender was made to conform to the complicated shapes, and also incorporated a protected location for electrical connectors. The fender was designed and fitted by Clyde Carstairs at Bravo Resources, whilst Windrush Yachts made the item.
thumbnail_IMG_0506.jpg

The auxiliary lights are dimmable LEDs from Clearwater in California, and I had them fitted exactly in line with the headlights. The extra lights function as daytime running lights, but go to full power as soon as high beam is switched on. These lights are the best ones on the market, very powerful, and made in the US at exquisite quality.
download (3).png

The brackets were designed in CAD, then cut from aluminium, then polished and finished by hand, and then anodised to match the forks and the lights. Everything was made to be adjustable. Clyde Carstairs of Bravo Resources did everything here, from design to fitment.

thumbnail_IMG_0518.jpg

The dimmer switch, which enables you to vary light level with conditions, had a small bracket made, to mount it as if it were part of the stock bike. You can increase the light output manually if you need to ride with low beam in darkness.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0524.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0524.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Continuing:

This is just about my favourite item - a powerful airhorn, the most intricate bracket for which was designed and made out of polished stainless steel by Clyde. It is a pity it cannot be seen! - the airhorn is mounted on three engine bolts, and is tucked right out of the way. It is wired in parallel with the (pretty useless) stock horn, so I not only have a lot of noise being produced, each is a spare for the other one.
You can see the fender extender, from Powerbronze in the UK - the stock fender is form over function, in that it looks terrific but is too short to protect the front of the engine from stones and other crud.
thumbnail_IMG_0523.jpg

Clyde made this tiny luggage rack, to enable me to carry a daypack. I do have the Triumph panniers (which are dreadful) as you can see from the mounting scaffolds. When they become available, I will fit beautiful Corbin hard panniers.
thumbnail_IMG_0507.jpg

Clyde made the round badge, and make sure you note the small spring-loaded locking lever.
The rack is on polished stainless, and is fitted to two existing bolts under the seat. Two rubber stops rest on the metal strips underneath the rack, everything invisible.

A twist, holding the lever, and the badge comes out.
thumbnail_IMG_0513.jpg

A daypack from Triumph was modified, in that Clyde made a fitting exactly like the badge, which enables the bag to be clicked into place and there it sits secure and not touching anything. This is the underside of the pack
thumbnail_IMG_0514.jpg

Here is the bag in place, able to hold all the gear needed for a day trip.
thumbnail_IMG_0515 (1).jpg

I was responsible only for concepts, and the bike was shaped just as I wanted. But the reality was that all of my ideas were adjusted and improved in the execution, and Clyde did all that with great cleverness. He also used a network of various experts - for example, the Rocket was transported to a custom bike electrician towards the end, as the electrical work was very complicated and everything needed to be hidden and protected.
One of the design principles behind the Rocket was that all hoses, pipes, clips, wires, cables had to be made invisible - we kept to that principle.
Cheers, Einar
And one more comment Einar asked me to post:

"You could add that the moulds and CAD programs exist, and, for a handsome fee, Bravo Resources would be delighted to supply things to Rocket owners the world over.
There must be a lot of blokes who are sick of having water and crud deposited all over their backs, as well as all over the back of the bike. For starters, stones are destroying rear lights on every Rocket there is!

I hope you all like the result. I have only ridden 200 km, more today. Acceleration like this should be illegal, surely! Engine feels just like the old one, only more powerful. Bike very, very easy to handle. Suspension is fantastic, feels rock solid in fast bends. Light steering, excellent mirrors, instrumentation very clever and comprehensive. Cruise control simple to use. Hill control feature is a marvel. Brakes, which are linked, with ABS-Pro, are very powerful. Quickshifter up and down is a beauty. Looks a pearler, of course. "

Einar owns the IP of the fender mould and the CAD programs. He gave me his private email to be contacted for these custom accessories but I just sent him a note asking if he's sure he want's to post his private email on the forum. Will get right back for confirmation and email.

That fender is *****in, wonder what the cost is?

It is. Send Einar an email and ask him. I know spent a bit of coin paying for the fabrication of the fender so it's probably not inexpensive. I have to say though that if I bought a new 2.5 liter R3, I'd have that fender on it. I just don't get the stock design. I don't like water and mud on my back.

Pretty cool. Boy, I haven't seen that name in many years. My grandfather was Karl Gustaf Einar Schelin, but he went by Einar.

Extremely well made it seems, don't like the looks of that "full coverage fender" personally, but again, seems very very well executed! I wonder if it would be possible to make a Cf fender using the pannier mounts, looking like @MrPix 's original fender mod, only sturdier.

Back