Frank - When mine died I was in the UK and my mate Tubbs (in Salisbury) supplied me with a Zodiac Lithium they use for High Compression S&S motors. Not had even a "reluctant" day since.

Thanks mate, mines defo on the way out so will look at that

Aren't lithiums more affected by cold than even lead. They do require a warm up mode too don't they or mine does in sub freezing in my Sprint ST and I keep it under a blanket or similar over the seat too in winter. The trick is to put a load on load them for 10-20 seconds and then let them rest for 30 secs and it gets the battery warmed up and easier to start. Seems to work. the one in my Sprint has been great but the even dearer big brand and bigger 36amp hour one I bought for the BMW outfit was left in the shop too long waiting for the rebuild and was sh!t and eventually dropped a cell within a month of using it.

ime - so far.
  • Lead Acid and AGM will generally start to die slowly - the bummer is that most are sealed as 90% of the M/C batteries I have seen fading early were just drying out inside.
  • Gel - I have only had one so cannot really say. Lasted for ages. But it was a huge 55aH thing.
  • Lithiums can blow a cell - and when they die it seems to be fairly cut and dried. Lithiums will warm up just by having the lights on for as little as a second or two.
I made my own Lithium (560CCA) for the Guzzi - made of 4 * 8aH cells - was easy to replace a dead cell.

I personally believe it is better to routinely discharge and recharge long standing batteries than leave them on a maintenance charger.

Euro/UK riders might like to take a look at the German mfr I-Tecc. They use A123Systems cells for their batteries and from experience these outclass the rest by a big margin. More expensive but........

If you feel you need a bit more than most - they do 1200CCA beasts - ime this can fry a starter motor if it's not 100% OK.

Lion or Lifepo4,

Both suffer in the cold and need an internal load to “wake up”. Many a day I hit the starter or my Daytona, one turn no fire, repeat 4-5 times and shed fire right up.

With a Lithium I highly recommend carrying a portable jump box. Both combined is still like 10lb lighter than the stock battery.

That said, I’m using a Duracell AGM on the R3, and it’s been great!

Back