Do I have the Roadster screen?

dsteber

Standard Bore
Hello all,

After comparing the SKU numbers, it seems that I do have the Roadster screen. The part number is A9740049. I googles it, and it came up as "screen asbly - roadster". One of the main reason I went with the Tourer was for the windshield!! Man, the wind beats the heck out of me on the highway. My 05 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado's windshield kept it off of me. I was hoping that this one was large enough as well. Any ideas of what I could do to keep the wind off of me on the highway besides a full-face helmet? Thanks.

At 5'11", my Roadster screen fits me fine. Alot of people have went with the Triumph lowers and say that they reduce the buffeting alot. I don't get alot of buffeting but do intend to get the lowers at some point.

My main problem is just too much wind in my face. i am only 6'1", so I was hoping that they put the wrong shield on. But after looking up that part number, I guess not!!! I don't think the lowers would have any change to the upper wind. No big deal. Would you happen to know how to adjust the heel-toe shifter? The reason I ask is that when I downshift, and sometimes upshift, I have to lift the controller a little, then switch gears. It's like it is not returning to a point to shift again. Does that make any sense?

The Summer Screen has three bolts across the top, and the Roadster screen has five bolts. I have the Roadster Screen, and the Triumph lowers made all the difference in the world. I also put a Laminar Lip on the top of the windshield, which did help to a degree. I think I will eventually go with a five inch taller Clearview, but it is too hot to worry about that right now. In fact, I just got back from a ride, and I think I might take the windshield off until it gets cooler.

The shifter is a ratchet mechanism, and it should return to the same orientation after each shift. You should not have to move the shifter at all, except to make the shifts up and down. After any shift, the shifter should return to the same position it was in before you made the shift. Are you trying to up shift with your toe under the lever, or are you upshifting with the heel portion of the shifter?

I had the same thought about the lowers until I read all the posts here about what a difference they make. I tried them and was amazed at the difference.

My main problem is just too much wind in my face. i am only 6'1", so I was hoping that they put the wrong shield on. But after looking up that part number, I guess not!!! I don't think the lowers would have any change to the upper wind. No big deal. Would you happen to know how to adjust the heel-toe shifter? The reason I ask is that when I downshift, and sometimes upshift, I have to lift the controller a little, then switch gears. It's like it is not returning to a point to shift again. Does that make any sense?

I'm 5'11'' and shrinking:DDidn't you say the top of the wind screen was no higher than your mirrors? The lowers do make a big difference. Although engine heat may become considerably more noticed. the lame-lip has some benefits. I wasn't aroused:eek: by the improvement at first. Under certain conditions, that I can't put a finger on, the wind flow between the screen and the lip howls/whistles and/or just makes noise. Anyone else with the Laminar lip experience this? The lame-lip added about 3/4" height above the screen, which is about the same rise in the helmet strike zone. The accompanying instructions would lead one to believe upwards of 2" height gain. BS! My riding partner, back seat driver, says she feels considerably less wind flow with the Lip. I do have far less bug splats on my face shield nowadays; but not totally eliminated.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4666.aspx This image of the Tourer indicates the screen height above the mirrors.

Last edited:
Well, I did say that the shield was lower than the mirrors, but I was looking at it wrong!! :eek:. It does have 5 bolts, so it is the roadster. I am hesitant on changing it as I like the "Triumph" logo on it. But, if I will do a lot of highway rides, I will need the taller one from clearview.
Coyote---Yes, the shifter SHOULD return back to it's position after a shift is made, but mine, for some reason, is not. While in first, I use my heel to change to second. Now I have to use my toe and step down a little so that way I can shift to third with my heel. Then step a little with my toe to heel shift to fourth, etc. Same goes for downshifting. Obviously this is not normal. It pisses me off a little to know the mechanic took it out to fill it up before I got there. I am certain that he felt that something was not right!! But ya'll, let me just tell ya---I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!! It is very hard for me to keep the RPM's down for the break-in period. I just hit 100 miles!!!:D

Now that I have the summer screen on ....

I love it and in florida with the temp and humidity it is working quite right!!! I have extended it all the way to highest position and I have used the ruber tube that goes around the sheild.......and I feels it does rase the wind level a bit.....Now most of the comments and my own are not to have it on the bike from a look point of view......I will ride with it off for the next couple of days and make the choice.......NOW THE INTERESTING THING THAT I HAVE FOUND OUT>>>>>>>>>

My helmet is a 1/2 helmet and I wear goggles.......this helmet has a sunvisor that sticks out an inch to 1 1/2 inchs.......when I put my chin downward while riding I noticed that the wind did not bother me on the helmet...I said chin down not head down......so I took off the sunvisor on the helmet...and now the air flows smoothly over the helmet and does not grab at the sunvisor on the helmet....of course a full helmet would do a much better job but I dont have central air on my bike yet and am not planning a trip to outerspace.......
And so goes the summer screen...tested the first day in a windfunnel that came to shore off the atlantic Ocean.........:roll:

Ride Safe, have fun, and with respect!!!!

Hello all,

After comparing the SKU numbers, it seems that I do have the Roadster screen. The part number is A9740049. I googles it, and it came up as "screen asbly - roadster". One of the main reason I went with the Tourer was for the windshield!! Man, the wind beats the heck out of me on the highway. My 05 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado's windshield kept it off of me. I was hoping that this one was large enough as well. Any ideas of what I could do to keep the wind off of me on the highway besides a full-face helmet? Thanks.

Apparently you have the roadster screen and it isn't enough. One solution is to replace the screen with a Clearviewshields.com screen for the Rocket which will fit your hardware. These are 1" wider on the sides and don't have the cutouts on the bottom. You can get them 5" higher than stock. Anything higher than stock is $145. Definitely worth it.

I'm 5'10" and I got mine 1" higher than stock. Clearview recommended that I should be able to see the road 50 feet ahead over the top of the shield. My shield is perfect in this respect. You want to look over the shield, not through it. Also, get the Triumph lowers. A lot of the turbulence around your head comes up from below.

Back