Digital speedometer

Franx6

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 2006
Hello group

The plan is to change for digital kit.
Do you think that will work on my 2006 tr3?
Thanks for your advices

Attachments

• C0A8476C-3ABF-4555-9EA1-B5C1F40CC1BF.png
    C0A8476C-3ABF-4555-9EA1-B5C1F40CC1BF.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 5
Work? - Anything can be made to work. But will ALL the features work as you want? - Only a good long study of documentation will tell you.

A 2006 (and so pre CANBUS) will run fine with alternative clocks.

I can pretty much state : Forget using the gear indicator. The R3 dear indicator is a resistance system that the ECU interprets.
If that is a generic Chinese type display - it depends on direct earth for each gear - a different method.

Not found any fuel gauge that works well out of the box with the triumph sensor either. The Chinese gauge I tried recently reads 100½ the reverse.

Also be VERY careful with the Chinese stuff. They use totally weird wiring colours. This is no issue if you are competent with electrics - but unless it is REALLY well documented you will suffer and curse - An R+D Thread - Different instruments.

ime - the wiring on the cheap stuff can be bulky, untidy and stiff. Whereas displays made by more established marques tend to have better cables.

Thank you Barba,
It’s a good beginning.
Make sens for the gears and the fuel. We don’t have them also.
Canbus is a kind of resistor, to make it works? You buy it to make the speedometer works?
I find those also, seems to be easy to make it fit!

Attachments

• 69C599D6-FD06-44E2-9019-B5AEB0C27079.png
    69C599D6-FD06-44E2-9019-B5AEB0C27079.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 4
  • E94465D6-571A-486F-A1E8-DB19BE4C4CFD.png
    E94465D6-571A-486F-A1E8-DB19BE4C4CFD.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 4
I can pretty much state : Forget using the gear indicator. The R3 dear indicator is a resistance system that the ECU interprets.
If that is a generic Chinese type display - it depends on direct earth for each gear - a different method.

Indeed - most of these have a separate ground for each gear - there may be some that use computational method (using engine rpm vs road speed).
If you want Gear Indicator, you are probably better off with dedicated after-market device (like Healtech)

Not found any fuel gauge that works well out of the box with the triumph sensor either. The Chinese gauge I tried recently reads 100½ the reverse....

I installed an Acewell on a BMW recently - it had both + & - options in programming options for the fuel gauge input, so would indicate correctly whether the resistance goes high to low or low to high.
Quality product

.....Canbus is a kind of resistor, to make it works? You buy it to make the speedometer works? .....

You don't need anything to make the gauges work on a classic - the signals are all discrete already. No resistors required.

Also - that first one you linked in last post - those are super-cheap, less than $30 on EBay - you get what you pay for! The RPM signal is REALLY awkward for this gauge - it needs to be capacitively coupled.

Make sens for the gears and the fuel. We don’t have them also.
Canbus is a kind of resistor, to make it works? You buy it to make the speedometer works?
I find those also, seems to be easy to make it fit!
Oh you most certainly do have gears and fuel. But not via standard instruments.

The gears however require a logic circuit to decipher. i.e. Healtech.
Fuel is there BUT is a different connector.

Canbus is a form of communication protocol. It requires deciphering. As Ken says a 2009 and earlier does not have CANBUS so be happy.

My experience of Acewell stuff differs to Ken's.
I have seen several fail - at my mate's bike shop. So much so he no refuses to even consider fitting them.
But they are NOT in the same dubious category as a 30dollar chinese thing.

Other marques we know fit to an R3 are KOSO and Dakota Digital.I know the fuel gauge on the Dakota is fully configurable too.
I confess to being a fan of KOSO gauges. But that's me. Bimota have many of "their" gauges made by KOSO.

Allow me to ask WHY the change?
Don't get me wrong - I like R&D, and if you just want to see if it can be done then hell, yes, buy cheepos.
But if you want them to work reliably in all weathers - buy decent ones.
My, albeit very limited, experience of Canada was COLD and NOT DRY.

Last edited:
Here Frank I translated Ken's elecrical jargon for you.
barbagris powiedział: ↑
Mogę powiedzieć prawie: Zapomnij o wskaźniku biegów. Drogi wskaźnik R3 jest systemem oporu interpretowanym przez ECU.
Jeśli jest to ogólny wyświetlacz typu chińskiego - zależy on od bezpośredniej ziemi dla każdego biegu - inna metoda.
Rzeczywiście - większość z nich ma osobne podłoże dla każdego biegu - mogą istnieć takie, które wykorzystują metodę obliczeniową (z wykorzystaniem prędkości obrotowej silnika w stosunku do prędkości na drodze).
Jeśli potrzebujesz wskaźnika biegów, prawdopodobnie lepiej skorzystasz z dedykowanego urządzenia do obsługi rynku wtórnego (np. Healtech)

Nie znaleziono żadnego miernika paliwa, który działałby dobrze po wyjęciu z czujnika triumfu. Chiński wskaźnik, który próbowałem ostatnio, brzmi 100½ na odwrót ....
Niedawno zainstalowałem Acewella w BMW - miał on opcje + i - w opcjach programowania wejścia wskaźnika poziomu paliwa, więc wskazywałby prawidłowo, czy opór jest wysoki, czy niski lub niski do wysokiego.
Produkt jakościowy

Franx6 powiedział: ↑
..... Canbus jest rodzajem rezystora, który działa? Kupujesz go, aby prędkościomierz działał? .....
Nie potrzebujesz niczego, aby wskaźniki działały na klasyczne - wszystkie sygnały są już dyskretne. Nie są wymagane rezystory.

Również - ten pierwszy, który umieściłeś w ostatnim poście - są super tanie, mniej niż 30 dolarów w serwisie eBay - masz za co płacisz! Sygnał RPM jest NAPRAWDĘ niezręczny dla tego miernika - musi być sprzężony pojemnościowo.

Not sure if its any clearer :D

Community

Very good Gents,
Waw, i’m Learning good stuff, thank you very much!
I do change to try to improve the bike. Some time I succeed... lol
I changed air filter, muffler, map. Head lights...
Most of the time via this forum... and it works!
Now the idea it’s to switch for digital. Only because I like it. Also I begin to see moisture in the instruments. Nothing bad but...

Those below are the last ones I found for the tr3 with your post.

Attachments

• 688543A2-BE98-4F8E-B5C8-14A93AB162E9.png
    688543A2-BE98-4F8E-B5C8-14A93AB162E9.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 65E4AD05-8BF7-483C-979C-3AB4EEF69DF9.png
    65E4AD05-8BF7-483C-979C-3AB4EEF69DF9.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 61C69270-F49D-4550-84A7-0C34E9B804E2.png
    61C69270-F49D-4550-84A7-0C34E9B804E2.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
Now the idea it’s to switch for digital. Only because I like it. Also I begin to see moisture in the instruments. Nothing bad but...
All fine reasons.

When doing research - I always have a browse of Digital-Speedos in the UK.
They're not the cheapest, they are not much use to you in Canada. BUT you can get to see a few things.
And if they say they are M/C rated - they are waterproof.
There is a load of stuff on ebay etc that says for bikes but really are car gauges.

Multifunction Gauges

Also worth looking at

MCV-7000 & MCL-5000 Series

Back