zimtuff

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Trimuph Rocket
Anyone else ever broken a detente spring in the gearbox? Ive broken 2 now,the 1st one at 11000klms and the 2nd at 70000klms. When the 1st one was replaced I was told the part had been upgraded and was fixed under warranty.
The dealer that fixed it both times said they had a done a few.
I dont think Im rough on gearboxes,after many bikes this is the 1st bike I have ever had a problem with the gearbox.
In case you didn't know,the spring holds it in gear. When it breaks you can still ride it(gently) but when there is no load on the gearbox it will fall out of gear into a false neutral.

Plenty info on here about that, I does seem to be a week link tho.
I have a spare plus a gasket in case mine decides to go out to lunch....

I have not done it before, but I am led to believe it is not difficult.
Ozrider and Evil mitch have done their's.

Apparently one must be careful not to scratch or mark the new spring when installing it.

Bloke I know from Sydney got swindled by someone down there .. he was told the engine had to come out to replace the spring. I did try to tell him ( photocopied the pages from the Workshop manual and posted them to him) .. he ignored my advice .. $2,800 later he had a new spring.

It's about 3 hours work. Not hard, but there are a couple of mods you can do and other things to check while you are there.

:eek: $2800 ?!?!?! That's obscene.
Triumph Australia did mine under warranty when I was out of warranty as a goodwill gesture.

Back