I have just undertaken this Job with only information gained from this post and I have to say that due to the details in this thread everything went perfectly and she is doing everything it should be doing. Thank you so much for putting this up. It has saved me a fortune.

Given the fact that so many of these springs break it would seem that they were not made of the best material, so it just may be that the spring weakens a bit before it breaks. And good job on the repair! That's exactly where my detent spring was when I opened her up.
I've been pondering why its breakin. Especially after I took this picture of a newly installed spring.
Screenshot_20200910-153125_Chrome.jpg

See what I see and suspect?

Ah, I see, the spring is curved at a different angle than the post it is anchored to.
Interesting. I wonder if that puts some sort of strain on the spring that leads to fatigue that in time leads to failure.
Good catch.

Thanks for taking time to post all that info with pics. $4000 quote to replace a detent spring? I wonder what they would charge to replace a stator? If you have to ask, probably can't afford it.

I've been pondering why its breakin. Especially after I took this picture of a newly installed spring.
Screenshot_20200910-153125_Chrome.jpg

See what I see and suspect?
Is all this stuff made in china. I recently purchased some triumph special tools from triumph themselves, (world of triumph, UK) and was disappointed to see all of the tools are made in china or india. It's marked on the packs. The cam set up tool too. The cheapest manufacturer wins the contract, more and more these days. In fact almost everything we buy now is made in china. No surprise really as the UK has hardly any manufacturing industry left. They have sold it all off! Including all of our utilities., Very sad.

Is all this stuff made in china. I recently purchased some triumph special tools from triumph themselves, (world of triumph, UK) and was disappointed to see all of the tools are made in china or india. It's marked on the packs. The cam set up tool too. The cheapest manufacturer wins the contract, more and more these days. In fact almost everything we buy now is made in china. No surprise really as the UK has hardly any manufacturing industry left. They have sold it all off! Including all of our utilities., Very sad.
Everything these days seems to have rocketed up in price ( pun intended), the price of an idle control motor from Fowlers in Bristol is now £148 only last year they were under £100 yet selling for $100 or less in the states!
Absolutely crazy that we pay more for a product that’s meant to be British, sadly like most products it’s built to a budget and sold for a massively inflated price because there’s so many willing to pay for sub standard goods.
Only have to browse this forum over the last couple of weeks to see the problems that are occurring already on the new bikes ,seems to me that you pay several thousand pounds more than the old Rocket to carry on the R&D.

Everything these days seems to have rocketed up in price ( pun intended), the price of an idle control motor from Fowlers in Bristol is now £148 only last year they were under £100 yet selling for $100 or less in the states!
Absolutely crazy that we pay more for a product that’s meant to be British, sadly like most products it’s built to a budget and sold for a massively inflated price because there’s so many willing to pay for sub standard goods.
Only have to browse this forum over the last couple of weeks to see the problems that are occurring already on the new bikes ,seems to me that you pay several thousand pounds more than the old Rocket to carry on the R&D.
If i was going to buy a new Triumph and when i saw it it had a badge on the engine that said made in China or India I would'nt buy it.

A genuine Rocket 3 radiator from the Triumph dealer is £800. Where does that price come from!!!

On the flip side, we've been able to give millions of 8 year old Chinese girls a job!

Back