Hey Dennis it was a great day to ride Sunday and I didn't get out either. No excuse. Guess I'm still smarting from the 400 miler. I did get out yesterday and some today. Got my bags to put on this evening. Once I get the empty box it will be set up just like had it on the 1st one, less the miles:cool:.

Hey Bob where are these days anyway??? I'm having the bike taken to D&D,...hopefully, sometime in the morning (Tuesday). Then we'll see what the verdict is.
Dennis

I need to get mine in there as well to get something simple done. Depending on what the dentist does I may see you there.

What you described first is exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Turned out to be a broken wire on the back of the ignition switch. I would have to move the key around until the lights came on, hold the clutch in with my chin and hit the starter. PITA. New switch and everything's fine.

Same incident here. After a few disturbing ignition cut-offs on mountain roads, I parked the bike on its sidestand. It started immediately. I resumed riding for a few miles (so the sidestand was NOT the issue, right?) , then it went dead (ignition, gauges, everything). I parked it again. And it started right away. It took me a few similarly disconcerting episodes to realize that as long as the bars were turned left, which is a natural parking habit (isn'it?), everything looked alright. But the very second I was turning the bars in the hope of hitting the road, the bike went dead.

What had happened (in hindsight) is that the wire you refer to had gradually dissected itself. Given the (questionable IMO) way it's routed, electrical current only flew through a few stretched filaments as long as the bars were turned left. Then it started flowing sporadically. Then it stopped flowing. By then, the wire was broken for good. And I called for road assistance...

PS Something to ask your dealers to pay preventive attention to after 2-3 years of ownership?

Jamie

Last edited:
On my last night working at Sears (I start next Wednesday at NEX...Navy Exchange) I went out to my ahem...trusty Rocket, tried starting it up...and nothing. The lights on the gages would come on intermittently and would cycle thru, but the minute I took my fingers off of the key the bike went "dark". Also no headlights.

This happened to me the other day as I was thinking of riding into work, but same thing. I called the shop and they told me to sit on the bike, keep it upright and put the kickstand up. When I came home from work I went out and tried it and the bike started right up. I then put the kickstand down like I would normally start the bike and it started again. When I got on the bike today to ride it into work...it started right up.

When I came out tonight this happened, anybody have any ideas???

When and if I get it started I will be taking it in to have this looked at and fixed, but the trick may be getting it to the dealer the normal way...riding it there.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

...My wifes learning to ride, yesterday was her second day to solo. No shes not on the Beast, I let her take out my Brother-in-laws "03 Rusty Duece,
I'm sorry, I meant Hardly Duece. I figure I'll start her off on a "LEARNER" bike... xhdskip
:D

...I would have to move the key around until the lights came on, hold the clutch in with my chin and hit the starter. PITA...
Oh really :eek: sounds like an athletic means... I'd have to see that in operation to be sure :D

kick stand interlock sounds good, but that shouldn't kill the headlight too. sounds more like a wire in the ignition switch. Was the bike in neutral?????? if so it shouldn't make any difference.

Same incident here. After a few disturbing ignition cut-offs on mountain roads, I parked the bike on its sidestand. It started immediately. I resumed riding for a few miles (so the sidestand was NOT the issue, right?) , then it went dead (ignition, gauges, everything). I parked it again. And it started right away. It took me a few similarly disconcerting episodes to realize that as long as the bars were turned left, which is a natural parking habit (isn'it?), everything looked alright. But the very second I was turning the bars in the hope of hitting the road, the bike went dead.

What had happened (in hindsight) is that the wire you refer to had gradually dissected itself. Given the (questionable IMO) way it's routed, electrical current only flew through a few stretched filaments as long as the bars were turned left. Then it started flowing sporadically. Then it stopped flowing. By then, the wire was broken for good. And I called for road assistance...

PS Something to ask your dealers to pay preventive attention to after 2-3 years of ownership?

Jamie

I'm voting but betting little, I don't have much, on the ignition ailment. Someone said the kickstand switch was a common problem. Must have been on another forum discussion. Clean it up real well and check the continuity on it. Use some compressed hi-tech contact cleaner. You haven't been draggin her in crap have you. That's very acidic.

Last edited:
tdragger, thanks for the pic on the ignition switch, I remember that thread now, didn't pay much attention at the time, but I am all ears now.

My dealer has it now, if it can't be repaired, I get a whole new ignition/key lock system as all the keys will have to be replaced.
Dennis

Looks like the Rocket is getting a new ignition set under warranty with a complete key changeover included. Could be Saturday if the parts arrive soon enough or next Tuesday.
I guess Dink didn't think that a "repair" would hold well enough so he went to bat for the new switch...way to go...I am fortunate to have a great dealer owner/head mechanic. If it isn't ready on Saturday at least I'll be eating a hamburger or two during their Triumph Days (or whatever it is called) celebration before I go into work.
Dennis

Back