Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
On my last night working at Sears (I start next Wednesday at NEX...Navy Exchange) I went out to my ahem...trusty Rocket, tried starting it up...and nothing. The lights on the gages would come on intermittently and would cycle thru, but the minute I took my fingers off of the key the bike went "dark". Also no headlights.

This happened to me the other day as I was thinking of riding into work, but same thing. I called the shop and they told me to sit on the bike, keep it upright and put the kickstand up. When I came home from work I went out and tried it and the bike started right up. I then put the kickstand down like I would normally start the bike and it started again. When I got on the bike today to ride it into work...it started right up.

When I came out tonight this happened, anybody have any ideas???

When and if I get it started I will be taking it in to have this looked at and fixed, but the trick may be getting it to the dealer the normal way...riding it there.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Dirty and/or faulty kickstand-starter interlock switch... another commom problem. :eek:

Hey Dennis,

Just a thought. My Black on Black Beast was pullin the same thing on cold mornings. I splurged and got a new battery. I bought a 625.
No problems yet and that was a couple months ago. My wifes learning to ride, yesterday was her second day to solo. No shes not on the Beast, I let her take out my Brother-in-laws "03 Rusty Duece,
I'm sorry, I meant Hardly Duece. I figure I'll start her off on a "LEARNER" bike. I took the jumper cables with me and only had to jump her off a couple of times. Take care and good luck. xhdskip

+1 what hombre said, along with a possibly bad/faulty ignition switch,corroded/dirty connections at terminals. jeeze,this could be endless.so guess i'll stop here.:eek:

greg

I doubt it's the battery as it is almost new. But I am kind of leaning in the direction of that kick stand / starter interlock switch and or the ignition switch itself. I know the headlights have got to be on when starting and they definitely are not... and both headlights were on when I rode the beast into work earlier in the day.
Dennis

What you described first is exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Turned out to be a broken wire on the back of the ignition switch. I would have to move the key around until the lights came on, hold the clutch in with my chin and hit the starter. PITA. New switch and everything's fine.

Dirty and/or faulty kickstand-starter interlock switch... another commom problem. :eek:

+1 what hombre said, along with a possibly bad/faulty ignition switch,corroded/dirty connections at terminals. jeeze,this could be endless.so guess i'll stop here.:eek:

greg

I'm going with the interlock too. Seems as though all the bike manufacturers get their sundries from the same lowest bidder. My new KLR suffers from exactly the same ****, well, not mine yet but others have. KLR owners take the switch entirely off and jumper the leads so it fools the computer into thinking the sidestand is always up. I suspect I'll be removing it before it becomes intermittent.

I've already did the di-electric grease in all the molex connectors and packed the unplugged connectors but I've never did the ignition switch, something I probably should do, most likely next winter along with disassembly of the swing arm and the steering head and adding Alemite fittings to both.

kick stand interlock sounds good, but that shouldn't kill the headlight too. sounds more like a wire in the ignition switch. Was the bike in neutral?????? if so it shouldn't make any difference.

Yep, bike was in neutral. I could wiggle the key in the ignition and the lights in the gage and warning lights, neutral...etc would go off and on...more off than on. Still leaning on the ignition switch but will have both looked at Tuesday...and it was such a great day to ride today.
Dennis

Yep, bike was in neutral. I could wiggle the key in the ignition and the lights in the gage and warning lights, neutral...etc would go off and on...more off than on. Still leaning on the ignition switch but will have both looked at Tuesday...and it was such a great day to ride today.
Dennis
Dennis you are going to ES in SEP you me and Bob so get that bloody bike fixed. Try sitting on the bike with your back to the front wheel now stick your legs over your head and turn the key with your right big toe now scream for help because you are stuck and twisted like a pretzel.;)

Back