Considering buying a Rocket

Cdub843

Standard Bore
Ride
bmw 12rt
Within a year from now I will have my next motorcycle. I like the rocket classic because it has significantly more horsepower than the newer touring rocket, that beautiful wide rear tire, and it still has the floor boards. I will probably add a batwing fairing and some removable bags. I've been told to stay away from Rockets built prior to 2008 due to mechanical issues. Is there any truth to that?

Welcome from Cape Cod. You will be over the top happy with a Rocket. 2010 and up is the way to go.

The Touring is not about the horsepower. It's about the torque. It's tuned so that it pulls like a Diesel from off idle to it's relatively low red line.

The Touring is .... for touring. It's not intended to be a "do it all" bike. It's for touring, and if you ride it as you would when touring, it brings great pleasure.

The classic is probably a lot of fun too, and you can dress them up and pretend that they're Tourings. But they're not :).

YMMV.

0520161154_HDR.jpg IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0745.JPG
2007 Classic, good price, silver motor, chrome valve cover, platforms, triple pipes.
Keeper until I can't ride any more.

Here is my 2006. Bought new August 2007. 40,000 miles now. No problems at all. Ride her like a touring bike and a sport bike.

She has been to ID, OR, WA, CA, NV, MT, UT, WY, CO, SD.

Rivco Rocket.jpg MotoFit_June_20_2015_ORP-2026.jpg DSCN3671.JPG DSCN3709.JPG DSCN3521.JPG DSCN5608.JPG
Back Yard, Oregon Raceway Park, Pikes Peak, Bonneville Salt Flats, Rocky Mountains, Teton Mountains

The Touring is not about the horsepower. It's about the torque. It's tuned so that it pulls like a Diesel from off idle to it's relatively low red line.

The Touring is .... for touring. It's not intended to be a "do it all" bike. It's for touring, and if you ride it as you would when touring, it brings great pleasure.

The classic is probably a lot of fun too, and you can dress them up and pretend that they're Tourings. But they're not :).

YMMV.
I think the CLASSIC is the best choice as you can add all the same equipment as the touring and it does everything better and will tour just as good and better with better tires ,wheels , forks and handling and is lighter and has more power so its a no brainer .

Power is not everybody's bag - But it IS MINE!!! :roll: :roll: :inlove

The need for Power to me is relative to the task at hand the my slightly modified R3T with "only" 140 odd RWHP drags the princes and I plus it's self with enough extra clothes for a weekend trip to the Relatives in Qld all up around 530Kg with ease , Hauling a 48Tonne D9 dozer up and over the Toowoomba Range in Qld behind our old Mack with under 500Hp you need every ounce of power to make it ,My sons new Mack can be "dialled" up to 700Hp and is a dream to drive pulling a big multi wheel low loader with 30 or 40 tonnes of excavator plus buckets , it's all relative to the Task

Here is my 2006. Bought new August 2007. 40,000 miles now. No problems at all. Ride her like a touring bike and a sport bike.

She has been to ID, OR, WA, CA, NV, MT, UT, WY, CO, SD.

Rivco Rocket.jpg MotoFit_June_20_2015_ORP-2026.jpg DSCN3671.JPG DSCN3709.JPG DSCN3521.JPG DSCN5608.JPG
Back Yard, Oregon Raceway Park, Pikes Peak, Bonneville Salt Flats, Rocky Mountains, Teton Mountains
She looks good. Who makes that batwing fairing? Corbin?

Back