Considering an 07 R3

@slydog75 Before you spend anymore money on it, give it a seriously good cleaning around the Stepper motor and all associated cables and rotating washers. I have had issues over 75K miles where grim gets in there and causes idle issues. Contact cleaner or WD-40 is great at cleaning the area out, just put a drop cloth under to keep drips from oiling up anything below.
Remove the bearclaw and overflow tank to get in there good.

@slydog75 Before you spend anymore money on it, give it a seriously good cleaning around the Stepper motor and all associated cables and rotating washers. I have had issues over 75K miles where grim gets in there and causes idle issues. Contact cleaner or WD-40 is great at cleaning the area out, just put a drop cloth under to keep drips from oiling up anything below.
Then get tune ECU. Read about it on here and the do a ivic reset as @Steel suggested.

Sounds like good advice. The issues does seem like the linkage is dry and sticky, not returning to idle. The return spring tension is greater at full throttle & gets weaker as it unwinds. Over the years I've had issues with bikes idling fast because the throttle linkage had too much stiction. Sometimes the cable needs lube, sometimes the hand grip needs lube, sometimes the linkage needs lube, sometimes all of the above. After all, the bike is 13 years old.

No issues yet IMG_0958.JPG This is from a 2015 Rocket X bought in Oct 2015 brand new. Stepper motor? I do not need no stinking motor. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well things just keep getting better. This will teach me to buy from a private seller. This morning the check engine light came on and now it won't even turn over. Is this likely all related to the same problem? Still worth trying to clean the stepper motor? If so where do I find it?

By not turn over, does it do nothing or do you get a click? My first suggestion is tighten the battery posts. The battery and connections are a common problem.

Back