Competition Werkes Exhaust 2020 R3

Werkes can say what they want but it’s your bike. They usually say this when only skip-ons are involved. The cat is the biggest restriction in the exhaust. Removing it could significantly increase the flow. Adaptation only affects idle. I would consider getting the A/F checked on a dyno. Maybe Werkes has done this on a Rocket and can produce the results. Otherwise, how can they make this statement?
Had 7 Harleys in the past i changed all their exhaust for Screamin eagles, had no issue with performance only de-cel pop and not excessive ,Werke's know what they're doing .
What i'm trying to say is even if its not 100% without being remapped they must have got to a point where its not going to give race performance but will not effect the ecu .

Last edited:
Werkes can say what they want but it’s your bike. They usually say this when only skip-ons are involved. The cat is the biggest restriction in the exhaust. Removing it could significantly increase the flow. Adaptation only affects idle. I would consider getting the A/F checked on a dyno. Maybe Werkes has done this on a Rocket and can produce the results. Otherwise, how can they make this statement?
Removing the cat in some of the earlier bikes featuring them (e.g. 2012 Victory's fitted with the 106 Freedom motor - where they were literally squeezed into same-size headers) would affect engine performance, most notably the amount of valve overlap due to the altered back-pressure and how that bears on scavenging exhaust gas. Most modern bikes now sport larger cats, specifically not to impede gas flow and mainly to deter motorbike/car owners from removing them.

Adaptation affects the entire rev-range. The latest ECUs continuously adapt to manifold airflow and pressure sensor readings (amongst others increasingly) in combination with what the O2 sensor(s) feed back, to maintain a chosen stoichiometric A/F ratio (e.g. 14.5) - to an extent even considering one's riding style. By resetting it after installing new slip-ons, the ECU will clear current adaptation values (throughout the rev-range) and readapt afresh - normally over at least 300 km. In the case of the KTM 1190/1290 ECU, with which I am more familiar, it will even readapt correctly when fitting a different air filter - no need to get a dyno-tune for that on those KTMs.

Loading a map, like Penner's, does other things. Like altering throttle-body behaviour, enriching the A/F ratio in specific rev/throttle load regions and adjusting other engine response parameters - specifically to improve performance and rideability, and move away from overly lean settings imposed on manufacturers. Performing a dyno-tune, in place or in addition to loading such a map, brings it all to even a higher and more individualized state-of-tune.

Last edited:
Removing the cat in some of the earlier bikes featuring them (e.g. 2012 Victory's fitted with the 106 Freedom motor - where they were literally squeezed into same-size headers) would affect engine performance, most notably the amount of valve overlap due to the altered back-pressure and how that bears on scavenging exhaust gas. Most modern bikes now sport larger cats, specifically not to impede gas flow and mainly to deter motorbike/car owners from removing them.

Adaptation affects the entire rev-range. The latest ECUs continuously adapt to manifold airflow and pressure sensor readings (amongst others increasingly) in combination with what the O2 sensor(s) feed back, to maintain a chosen stoichiometric A/F ratio (e.g. 14.5) - to an extent even considering one's riding style. By resetting it after installing new slip-ons, the ECU will clear current adaptation values (throughout the rev-range) and readapt afresh - normally over at least 300 km. In the case of the KTM 1190/1290 ECU, with which I am more familiar, it will even readapt correctly when fitting a different air filter - no need to get a dyno-tune for that on those KTMs.

Loading a map, like Penner's, does other things. Like altering throttle-body behaviour, enriching the A/F ratio in specific rev/throttle load regions and adjusting other engine response parameters - specifically to improve performance and rideability, and move away from overly lean settings imposed on manufacturers. Performing a dyno-tune, in place or in addition to loading such a map, brings it all to even a higher and more individualized state-of-tune.
My 2007 Rocket Classic had Jardines and triple K&N’s. The A/F at peak torque was over 15 with the TORs tune. The narrow band can’t adjust this down to the 13’s

My 2007 Rocket Classic had Jardines and triple K&N’s. The A/F at peak torque was over 15 with the TORs tune. The narrow band can’t adjust this down to the 13’s
Agreed. My 2006 Buell XB12Ss incidentally features a Jardine pipe and K&N air filter as well (-:

DynoJet competitor, DimSport's, range of 'Rapid Bike Racing' piggyback tuners are clever enough to manipulate and work with narrow-band sensors and to adjust for optimal performance throughout the rev-range - seamlessly across open and closed loops. Proper plug-and-play, or install-and-forget rather, they have garnered an almost religious 'ride-it-like-you-stole-it' following amongst Ducati, KTM and now also BMW riders, both track and street. They do Triumph as well but nothing for the Rockets, unfortunately - neither Rocket III nor Rocket 3 - Rapid Bike,

But no hassle - we have our own Secret Weapon, Penner (-: I upted his ETV3 table a smidge and my Red Rocket truly goes like a bat out of hell now as well; Free unrestricted maps for Rocket R GT and TFC now online

My other dentist has an older R3, I think I paid for it.
Dropped the bike into Brisbane today for first service and they said popping was normal. I dont mind, but when I mod the exhaust it will probably get worse. Also my screen cracked after a few weeks. They have ordered a complete new instrument. They said it has happened before.
i just noticed when i was cleaning my 2021 r3 that the screen has a crack on it as well FFS

so i have a 2021 r3 i have since put the VGT 1" bar risers in, Corban aftermarket seat and i installed the Hepco & Becker C-Bow system last weekend for saddle bags. I ordered the Comp Werks Exhaust and it is sitting at FedEx waiting till i get home, didn't get the baffles with it but i will get some before and after video's. i have read through this entire thread and was wonder if anyone has some feedback about the Werk since install and putting some miles on them?

IMG_9112.jpeg
got the swap out completed on the weekend.

Back