Cold Starts in Cold Weather

I'll see if I can see what battery it is. Yeah, it is hesitating with a six year-old battery at 44 degrees and additional compression, but still cranks in less than two seconds, first try. I'll probably need a new battery at some point soon, BUT your 2020 should not.
Ok. New info. Went out just now, less than 50 degrees, and normally i just hit starter, hear the pump, then hit start to turn over. But this time I hit button to pull up dash cause wanted to see temp, lights of course come on, then hit starter. Fired right up! Does that 1st step wake up the battery or something?

Ok. New info. Went out just now, less than 50 degrees, and normally i just hit starter, hear the pump, then hit start to turn over. But this time I hit button to pull up dash cause wanted to see temp, lights of course come on, then hit starter. Fired right up! Does that 1st step wake up the battery or something?
I have the older Rocket, but that sounds like a good theory. I've heard that waiting to hit the starter for 10 seconds or so will result in an easier start from the battery (counter intuitive, I know-pushing lights, etc). I think someone mentioned that in an earlier post here. Sounds like you may have been rushing it.

I have the older Rocket, but that sounds like a good theory. I've heard that waiting to hit the starter for 10 seconds or so will result in an easier start from the battery (counter intuitive, I know-pushing lights, etc). I think someone mentioned that in an earlier post here. Sounds like you may have been rushing it.
Yup. I have avoided the step that in colder weather brings it to life. I think the temp was about 40, app said 39. Will try again tomorrow but think that is it. Dr.D may be avoiding that step as well.

Learned something new. I was running Shorai when they were a novelty and that was the key on cold starts: Full load to warm up the battery, then crank. But I never tried that on conventional batteries!

Learned something new. I was running Shorai when they were a novelty and that was the key on cold starts: Full load to warm up the battery, then crank. But I never tried that on conventional batteries!
In my experience in the automotive field when trying to boost frozen cars, the conventional battery puts out the most power (at that temp) on initial draw. In other words, don't put any load on the battery to "try and warm it up". Everything goes down hill from there. We learnt to keep all accessories off, before trying to start a vehicle. If you could somehow warm the battery up with an external source such as a plug in battery blanket for an hour or more, then the battery was a lot more responsive and powerful being able to put out it's rated cranking amps. There is a big difference between cranking amps and cold cranking amps with a lead acid battery.

Lithium ion is almost the opposite. Put a load on the cold battery for a while, then try to start.

I'm guessing Maurice's bike starts better because by turning the ignition on??? then waiting before cranking, he is allowing the fuel pump to fully prime the bike before trying to start. Curious, what is the start procedure for these new Rockets since there is no key? How do you turn the ignition on? In the newer cars without keys, it's push the brake and start button together so no real way to "prime" the fuel system.

Yup. Read that on lithium batteries, but I came to this by accident. Wanted temp to show on video showing long turning over befored start. Ha.

Let me ask you, do you just hit starter and bypass lighting up dash? Wondering if that makes it harder to start.
I push the starter button to the position that primes the fuel pump and after the sound quits I push it to the last stage to engage the starter. After some thought it might be more like two to three seconds. We dentist are good with time. Remember when your doctor says I’ll be with you in a minute? It’s exactly sixty seconds, right? :laugh:

In my experience in the automotive field when trying to boost frozen cars, the conventional battery puts out the most power (at that temp) on initial draw. In other words, don't put any load on the battery to "try and warm it up". Everything goes down hill from there. We learnt to keep all accessories off, before trying to start a vehicle. If you could somehow warm the battery up with an external source such as a plug in battery blanket for an hour or more, then the battery was a lot more responsive and powerful being able to put out it's rated cranking amps. There is a big difference between cranking amps and cold cranking amps with a lead acid battery.

Lithium ion is almost the opposite. Put a load on the cold battery for a while, then try to start.

I'm guessing Maurice's bike starts better because by turning the ignition on??? then waiting before cranking, he is allowing the fuel pump to fully prime the bike before trying to start. Curious, what is the start procedure for these new Rockets since there is no key? How do you turn the ignition on? In the newer cars without keys, it's push the brake and start button together so no real way to "prime" the fuel system.
The dash lights after hitting switch has nothing to do with fuel pump priming. Quick start switch 1st time you hear the primer, then when it stops you hit again to start. I had even tried waiting longer after 1st hit before starting but no go. Thank God for accidents as the dash does the trick.
I do know at least with my back this works and does apoear counter intuitive. I think a weak battery your scenario is true, don't have accessories on or it will be harder. This is not that as it would turn over quickly, strong, just not start.

I push the starter button to the position that primes the fuel pump and after the sound quits I push it to the last stage to engage the starter. After some thought it might be more like two to three seconds. We dentist are good with time. Remember when your doctor says I’ll be with you in a minute? It’s exactly sixty seconds, right? :laugh:
Next cold day try dash first and see if it is 1 second.😄

Back