Cold Starts in Cold Weather

Mine is garage kept but not heated. It rarely gets below 40 degrees in there but it has always started the same way. Battery spins in good and fast and sparks up within about three to four seconds.
3 to 4 seconds. I don't think I haved waited that long. One thousand one, one thousand two.. probably only let it spin for about 2 seconds cause in warmer temps starts immediately. That could be it, not waiting long enough. Thursday I will see. Thanks for that info!

Does it take longer than your car to start? It shouldn't be any different.
Yes! That was my thinking. But then others, Dr D, says when cold 3 to 4 seconds. Idk. My Honda vtx never acted different. Could be this model, sensitive to cold.

Doesn't it make sense cca 270 is not enough for colder temps, 50ish? Only happens when colder.

Last edited:
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3564.JPG

Cold Start at 44F (click here)

That's a 2011 bike with high compression 10:1 pistons and 60,000 miles. Battery replaced 11/20/14 at 14,065 miles.
-> Show that to your service manager.

Last edited:
What cca in battery, 270?
Is it just me, but does it sound like a hesitation to turn over, like it is difficult? Not a criticism! Wonder what voltage you have cranking.
But yeah, starts much sooner than mine at 55 degrees!
I will record tomorrow and send to mngr.
I appreciate your input!
Will post mine in the morning.

What cca in battery, 270?
Is it just me, but does it sound like a hesitation to turn over, like it is difficult? Not a criticism! Wonder what voltage you have cranking.
But yeah, starts much sooner than mine at 55 degrees!
I will record tomorrow and send to mngr.
I appreciate your input!
Will post mine in the morning.
I'll see if I can see what battery it is. Yeah, it is hesitating with a six year-old battery at 44 degrees and additional compression, but still cranks in less than two seconds, first try. I'll probably need a new battery at some point soon, BUT your 2020 should not.

Mine is garage kept but not heated. It rarely gets below 40 degrees in there but it has always started the same way. Battery spins in good and fast and sparks up within about three to four seconds.
Let me ask you, do you just hit starter and bypass lighting up dash? Wondering if that makes it harder to start.

Back