Weather Stripping Gap in Headtub Box?

I still scratch my head trying to figure out what their line of thinking was. A drain at the bottom? So if it rains and you're trying to get home on the Rocket at any speed the rain shoots up into the bottom of the box and soaks all the components but when you park your Rocket it drips to the bottom and out the opening? There should be no openings at all. Water damage will and is going to be a problem if it gets in. The entire box should be water tight. I don't get it. :confused:
Yeah, mine was so filthy with bugs, sand, and evaporated road grime before I sealed it up. The only reasoning I can come up with the way they did it is that the ambient air temperature sensor is in there and they wanted a constant air flow. But has been pointed out, the backside is practically wide open so air flows quite freely without the forced rain inlet. I've had it open a few times since sealing it up and still so nice and clean and dry the way it should have come from the factory. Also, be sure the j channel has not been pushed down away from the cowl or you'll have another big rain crud inducing gap.

Could you provide a link for the one you got so I don't have use any precious energy to look?
This is what I used. I also put some silicone grease in the groove under it to help hold it in place. You see a bunch of them pushed down allowing a gap between the seal and cowl. Just push the seal up to the cowl if the cowl is tight and you have a gap. I put the seam at the top as there are plenty of ways for drainage.
Amazon.com

Another place to watch for problems

This is what I used. I also put some silicone grease in the groove under it to help hold it in place. You see a bunch of them pushed down allowing a gap between the seal and cowl. Just push the seal up to the cowl if the cowl is tight and you have a gap. I put the seam at the top as there are plenty of ways for drainage.
Amazon.com

Another place to watch for problems
Thanks I just ordered that, said I'll have it tomorrow.

Back