Cold Starts in Cold Weather

Next time you start it in cold weather, open the throttle about 1/4 turn during start up.. That will bypass the computers rich start system and allow
more raw fuel on startup.. Normally the closed throttle setting is enough on a fairly warm day (50 degrees or so) but a partially open throttle will give u
almost twice the fuel on start up. My T-120 with fuel injection does the same thing, especially if it sits a week or so.
That makes sense. Still no cold mornings to try it out, byt soon.
Switched oil weight from 20-50 to recommended 15-50. Probably not the culprit. Dealer said will test battery since warranty covers it.
Thank you for that info!!

Early today, about 55 degrees, same cranking repeatedly without sarting. Tried more throttle, nope.
Dealer checked it out, no problem with battery, charging system, no error codes. Service mngr said it is normal for repeat turning over as long as it eventually starts. Said not 30 seconds of trying, but..
Does this sound normal? We are not talking 20 degrees. Higher cca's I am thinking would solve it, but not sure. Lithium battery appears to be only ine that would fit since length is 6 inches. Hate to spend money uf not convinced.
When I suggested that I would wear starter motor doing this, was told it won't, that the manual would have advised against it.
Thoughts?

Early today, about 55 degrees, same cranking repeatedly without sarting. Tried more throttle, nope.
Dealer checked it out, no problem with battery, charging system, no error codes. Service mngr said it is normal for repeat turning over as long as it eventually starts. Said not 30 seconds of trying, but..
Does this sound normal? We are not talking 20 degrees. Higher cca's I am thinking would solve it, but not sure. Lithium battery appears to be only ine that would fit since length is 6 inches. Hate to spend money uf not convinced.
When I suggested that I would wear starter motor doing this, was told it won't, that the manual would have advised against it.
Thoughts?

Someone with more clout than me is going to come along shortly to confirm this, but since no one has yet... You have a brand new 2020 R3 and "the Service mngr said it is normal for repeat turning over as long as it eventually starts." Bull****e!!! I have a 2011 Roadster and it will turn right over in 55 degree weather with the same battery it had when I bought it used about four years ago. I have trouble below 30F, but consider that normal with a standard battery and have posted my workaround. You don't need a new battery- maybe a lawyer if they keep BSing you like that. Contact Triumph corporate to start. Let us know how it goes.

Someone with more clout than me is going to come along shortly to confirm this, but since no one has yet... You have a brand new 2020 R3 and "the Service mngr said it is normal for repeat turning over as long as it eventually starts." Bull****e!!! I have a 2011 Roadster and it will turn right over in 55 degree weather with the same battery it had when I bought it used about four years ago. I have trouble below 30F, but consider that normal with a standard battery and have posted my workaround. You don't need a new battery- maybe a lawyer if they keep BSing you like that. Contact Triumph corporate to start. Let us know how it goes.
Smells to me too. Is your bike in a garage? So 55 degrees where bike sat fires right up. What degree does it turn for awhile?

Smells to me too. Is your bike in a garage? So 55 degrees where bike sat fires right up. What degree does it turn for awhile?
My bike is now in one of those portable tent sheds, so whatever it is outside is what the bike is when I try to crank it. This morning it started on it's own at 41 degrees. It turns for 2 - 3 seconds before coming to life. If it's colder the reason it might turn for a while is the battery cold and pushing the cold engine and the battery will quickly run down. Sometimes it will start with a second try, but in that case it usually means I'll need a jump. @Dr.D has a 2020 and may be able to share what he sees with that bike, but it should not have to turn over for long periods of time in relatively warm weather (55F). I'd say that something's wrong. It could be that battery is not good- even though it's new. When it's turning over does is sound weak, or is it turning over strong and just not firing up?

Last edited:
My bike is now in one of those portable tent sheds, so whatever it is outside is what the bike is when I try to crank it. This morning it started on it's own at 41 degrees. It turns for 2 - 3 seconds before coming to life. If it's colder the reason it might turn for a while is the battery is pushing the cold engine and it (the battery) will quickly run down. Sometimes it will start with a second try, but in that case it usually means I'll need a jump. @Dr.D has a 2020 and may be able to share what he sees with that bike, but it should not have to turn over for long periods of time in relatively warm weather (55F). I'd say that something's wrong. It could be that battery is not good- even though it's new. When it's turning over does is sound weak, or is it turning over strong and just not firing up?
No, it turns over strong. I am going to take video Thursday early and send it to him. Here is test result of battery. See anything suspicious?

Attachments

• 20201124_181320.jpg
    20201124_181320.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 9
My bike is now in one of those portable tent sheds, so whatever it is outside is what the bike is when I try to crank it. This morning it started on it's own at 41 degrees. It turns for 2 - 3 seconds before coming to life. If it's colder the reason it might turn for a while is the battery cold and pushing the cold engine and the battery will quickly run down. Sometimes it will start with a second try, but in that case it usually means I'll need a jump. @Dr.D has a 2020 and may be able to share what he sees with that bike, but it should not have to turn over for long periods of time in relatively warm weather (55F). I'd say that something's wrong. It could be that battery is not good- even though it's new. When it's turning over does is sound weak, or is it turning over strong and just not firing up?
Mine is garage kept but not heated. It rarely gets below 40 degrees in there but it has always started the same way. Battery spins in good and fast and sparks up within about three to four seconds.

At 55 degrees F, you shouldn't have to crank the engine more than 3 seconds to start. If it takes several tries, you have a problem. You shouldn't need to get a booster battery, larger cables, bigger battery etc etc. The bike should start period. Tell the dealer to fix it.

You should see if there is a demo Rocket 3 available to compare your bike with. Leave both bikes outside overnight when it is cold then see if they both take the same effort to start.

No, it turns over strong. I am going to take video Thursday early and send it to him. Here is test result of battery. See anything suspicious?
The numbers written down for the battery look OK. 13.6 charging is ok. (battery may not be fully charged at this point). 12.8 at rest is good too. 11.9 volts while cranking is very good showing that the starter isn't really laboring while cranking leaving good voltage to fire the coils and keep the ecm running. I wonder what your fuel pump pressure is at during start up? Can you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key to the on position? Does it shut off after a couple of seconds.

The numbers written down for the battery look OK. 13.6 charging is ok. (battery may not be fully charged at this point). 12.8 at rest is good too. 11.9 volts while cranking is very good showing that the starter isn't really laboring while cranking leaving good voltage to fire the coils and keep the ecm running. I wonder what your fuel pump pressure is at during start up? Can you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key to the on position? Does it shut off after a couple of seconds.
Yes, I hear the pump and then it stops after a couple seconds.
Also need to at that when I stop starting, then hit it again, starts right up. I could just be expecting too much.

Last edited:
Back